What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

YES... almost got banned there. First thing did wrong was post photos of Don Martin's bottle full of gold nuggets cache in a thread discussing, the new Garrett Axiom gold detector. Don was first Minelab distributor in Brazil.

I don't use my FB for prospecting or treasure hunting except do follow Bill Black's page (Ropesfish).
Mate, I was piled on with hate and abuse for this and I am being 100% honest.
Me ..."Im sickened going gold detecting and seeing left open holes from gold chasers. Open holes and raked bare areas without being left like you find it which is a requirement when you purchase a miners right by law. Pay attention guys the forrestry and greens watch this.
I was told "who cares old miners from the 1800s left holes open. Who cares rabbits dig holes and so do echidnas and wombats. Why dont you just f#$k off. You better be careful because you don't know what i can do to you. You better watch out you have no idea who I am. Do you have any idea who you are dealing with." Not one person, those were multiple.
 
Speaking of things watching from the trees... I was outside a little while ago and heard something unusual. I've spent many a night in the woods, but I don't recall hearing this before. It was dark, with some moonlight and scattered clouds, about 60 degrees F and no wind. I could hear the usual night noises -- crickets, katydids, and so forth. And then from the trees, maybe forty or fifty yards from me, I heard a thump. I looked in that direction, but saw nothing but darkness. Then I heard it again. Then a few more times. It sounded like a turkey drumming, or maybe someone hammering something with a soft hammer. I listened for a few seconds trying to identify it but could not. Then I heard a kind of low scraping or possibly growling kind of sound. It was pretty spooky actually. I took out my phone and pointed it in the general direction and turned on video record, but naturally, as soon as the phone came out, the sound stopped. Does anyone know what wildlife in the ozarks makes a thumping sound and a growling sound. at night? I doubt it was a turkey drumming, since they'd all still be roosting in the trees. It definitely wasn't footsteps of any kind. But I don't know what else would make that sound. Bear? Sasquatch? Any ideas?
 
Speaking of things watching from the trees... I was outside a little while ago and heard something unusual. I've spent many a night in the woods, but I don't recall hearing this before. It was dark, with some moonlight and scattered clouds, about 60 degrees F and no wind. I could hear the usual night noises -- crickets, katydids, and so forth. And then from the trees, maybe forty or fifty yards from me, I heard a thump. I looked in that direction, but saw nothing but darkness. Then I heard it again. Then a few more times. It sounded like a turkey drumming, or maybe someone hammering something with a soft hammer. I listened for a few seconds trying to identify it but could not. Then I heard a kind of low scraping or possibly growling kind of sound. It was pretty spooky actually. I took out my phone and pointed it in the general direction and turned on video record, but naturally, as soon as the phone came out, the sound stopped. Does anyone know what wildlife in the ozarks makes a thumping sound and a growling sound. at night? I doubt it was a turkey drumming, since they'd all still be roosting in the trees. It definitely wasn't footsteps of any kind. But I don't know what else would make that sound. Bear? Sasquatch? Any ideas?
Sounds like a pirate amidst theft of a barrel of rum....... they cannot help but "tap" the barrel and taste it mid thievery....and then when almost spotted..... the scallywag pirate stops and hides behind said barrel of rum... who then begins sipping more rum until passing out.... hence....... no more noise. :P

That is what i envisioned.

Perhaps if you envision this... it will be less spooky :)
 
Speaking of things watching from the trees... I was outside a little while ago and heard something unusual. I've spent many a night in the woods, but I don't recall hearing this before. It was dark, with some moonlight and scattered clouds, about 60 degrees F and no wind. I could hear the usual night noises -- crickets, katydids, and so forth. And then from the trees, maybe forty or fifty yards from me, I heard a thump. I looked in that direction, but saw nothing but darkness. Then I heard it again. Then a few more times. It sounded like a turkey drumming, or maybe someone hammering something with a soft hammer. I listened for a few seconds trying to identify it but could not. Then I heard a kind of low scraping or possibly growling kind of sound. It was pretty spooky actually. I took out my phone and pointed it in the general direction and turned on video record, but naturally, as soon as the phone came out, the sound stopped. Does anyone know what wildlife in the ozarks makes a thumping sound and a growling sound. at night? I doubt it was a turkey drumming, since they'd all still be roosting in the trees. It definitely wasn't footsteps of any kind. But I don't know what else would make that sound. Bear? Sasquatch? Any ideas?
Nah man... that does sound spooky... i know i made light of it... but perhaps some night vision cameras are in order.
 
Nah man... that does sound spooky... i know i made light of it... but perhaps some night vision cameras are in order.
That's not a bad idea. I may do that.
 
Morning everyone :) Going to be gone for a few days going camping with some of our horses again :)
 
Speaking of things watching from the trees... I was outside a little while ago and heard something unusual. I've spent many a night in the woods, but I don't recall hearing this before. It was dark, with some moonlight and scattered clouds, about 60 degrees F and no wind. I could hear the usual night noises -- crickets, katydids, and so forth. And then from the trees, maybe forty or fifty yards from me, I heard a thump. I looked in that direction, but saw nothing but darkness. Then I heard it again. Then a few more times. It sounded like a turkey drumming, or maybe someone hammering something with a soft hammer. I listened for a few seconds trying to identify it but could not. Then I heard a kind of low scraping or possibly growling kind of sound. It was pretty spooky actually. I took out my phone and pointed it in the general direction and turned on video record, but naturally, as soon as the phone came out, the sound stopped. Does anyone know what wildlife in the ozarks makes a thumping sound and a growling sound. at night? I doubt it was a turkey drumming, since they'd all still be roosting in the trees. It definitely wasn't footsteps of any kind. But I don't know what else would make that sound. Bear? Sasquatch? Any ideas?
Tree knocking, growling, .... got to be the BIG FOOT !!
 
We have a stretch of beautiful weather again this month. Dry though where now most of the eastern conservation areas are now at a stage 3. Water levels are getting to be very low in some areas and no relief in the near future.
Low water=🌶 might be doing a little mud larking along the shoreline dump this fall.

Screenshot_20250911_082047_Weather Network.webp
 
Speaking of things watching from the trees... I was outside a little while ago and heard something unusual. I've spent many a night in the woods, but I don't recall hearing this before. It was dark, with some moonlight and scattered clouds, about 60 degrees F and no wind. I could hear the usual night noises -- crickets, katydids, and so forth. And then from the trees, maybe forty or fifty yards from me, I heard a thump. I looked in that direction, but saw nothing but darkness. Then I heard it again. Then a few more times. It sounded like a turkey drumming, or maybe someone hammering something with a soft hammer. I listened for a few seconds trying to identify it but could not. Then I heard a kind of low scraping or possibly growling kind of sound. It was pretty spooky actually. I took out my phone and pointed it in the general direction and turned on video record, but naturally, as soon as the phone came out, the sound stopped. Does anyone know what wildlife in the ozarks makes a thumping sound and a growling sound. at night? I doubt it was a turkey drumming, since they'd all still be roosting in the trees. It definitely wasn't footsteps of any kind. But I don't know what else would make that sound. Bear? Sasquatch? Any ideas?

Awesome deer in oaks picture .
Squatchy type stuff for sure. Nothing to worry about. Just stay out of the zip code.


Turkey drummin? Never heard such.
Strutting dragging wing tips ect. Yes.
Partridge drumming like a lowest idle old John Deere's thump thump thump. Yes.
Only knew one to drum at night ; I dubbed the lonely bachelor. Good way to get caught by a fox or something.

Deer can make a lot of sounds. Growling isn't one I'd expect when near. But never say never. Had one approach chirping a few years back and I'd never heard a deer chirp prior.
A deer will stand and thump thump. Often a doe . Feet leave a pile of interdigital scent when stomping like an exclamation point for a while.
It also and maybe more importantly gets the attention of nearby deer. Warning/ heads up type attention.

A critter with fleas or ticks would thump a hind leg when scratching at times probably..
A bear rubbing itself on a tree might grunt or growl. It would also leave a hair or more. Plus disturbed bark if not already a scratching site.
Not to be confused with a claw scratching site though the two may be the same.

When a doe has a fawn secured somewhere at the property a trend has them on the swamp edge in the cover "thumping" back and forth. Deer can run through there (and do) without my hearing them.
The thumping is meant to distract me . Follow the sound away from...
Then there are these ding a lings.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom