What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

I once read something on animals about learnt collective memory or something along those lines and it had something to do with hunting or avoidance, becomes instinctive. I bet its that.
The gene implementation of memory functions in animals must be quick.
Survival of the fittest.

Chipmunks around my place was at a plague status. Then the Heron showed up at least 6 times a day.
The other squirrels Red, Black were running around the Heron's feet with no concerns.

Chipmunks got nailed and this went on till the Heron started going out into the forest to get the stragglers.

Now just 4 yrs later the Heron squawks while flying over, every Chipmunk runs for cover and stays there.
How quick they learnt that they were on the menu.

DSCN0954.webp
DSCN0953.webp
 
A friends kitchen sink is sloooooooooowwwwww to drain. Enzyme cleaner first, nope. Snake ! Nope... I looked and said where is the vent as sink is on an island not close to a wall no through the roof vent stack. Ah HA!! sink has an AAV valve, if this thing quits working.... el crapo !! Unscrewed it and whooosh !!! New valve time !!

aav valve.webp
 
Cheers. At golds price these days it wouldn't take much. Im just happy to be out there again after not going for so long after getting rid of my bigger serious gear due to my back. It’s really nice to be able to do what I love again.
Is the soil hard as rocks like here? I plan on swinging some this year. One property owner said I can’t bring anyone with me. I still have to ask another yet maybe 2. I really don’t want to go by myself.
 
The gene implementation of memory functions in animals must be quick.
Survival of the fittest.

Chipmunks around my place was at a plague status. Then the Heron showed up at least 6 times a day.
The other squirrels Red, Black were running around the Heron's feet with no concerns.

Chipmunks got nailed and this went on till the Heron started going out into the forest to get the stragglers.

Now just 4 yrs later the Heron squawks while flying over, every Chipmunk runs for cover and stays there.
How quick they learnt that they were on the menu.

View attachment 2230292View attachment 2230293
I had no idea that they ate small mammals. I’ve seen them eat snakes and fish before
 
The gene implementation of memory functions in animals must be quick.
Survival of the fittest.

Chipmunks around my place was at a plague status. Then the Heron showed up at least 6 times a day.
The other squirrels Red, Black were running around the Heron's feet with no concerns.

Chipmunks got nailed and this went on till the Heron started going out into the forest to get the stragglers.

Now just 4 yrs later the Heron squawks while flying over, every Chipmunk runs for cover and stays there.
How quick they learnt that they were on the menu.

View attachment 2230292View attachment 2230293
Chipmunks ? Don't you have Coon cats ? I figure nothing would survive with those beasts around.
 
Chipmunks ? Don't you have Coon cats ? I figure nothing would survive with those beasts around.
Totally useless in regards to killing anything.
Mice are safe if they get in the house.

0221e7ba857652f12d454eac09223ff8.webp
 
Is the soil hard as rocks like here? I plan on swinging some this year. One property owner said I can’t bring anyone with me. I still have to ask another yet maybe 2. I really don’t want to go by myself.
In some places it is for sure. Just so compact and hard the pick just chips away rather than digs in. Where I am now not so much as the previous place we lived.
Used to be a pain in the backside getting a signal in that ground. Back to the car for the crowbar, an hour to dig less than a foot. Thankfully the ground here is more forgiving. I go on my own and mostly have ever since I started. Did now and then go out with a few friends but they are gone or given it away now. My misses used to like coming but she's got some health issues that limit her time out now. I have always pretty much been a loner in regards to my outdoors activities. In the bush alone is where I feel most at home really.
 
Greeting friends! Nice day to you all! Sunny but cool today. Mowed the lawn today, hopefully for the last time, except that's not my luck usually!
 
Good morning all. The daylight is getting shorter -- too bad the chore list doesn't shrink to match.
 
This is a photo of an area in Victoria that recently had a rabbit proof fence set up.
It shows the difference between land with and without rabbits here.
Left the rabbits are still there. Right no rabbits. Everything has died on the rabbits side.
4131b460-aedc-11f0-bb1f-a4497311d5ac-1.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom