What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Footnote: when 🌶 showed up at a commercial auction I could hear often the
"Oh shit look who's here"

I would just laugh 🤣

Most that are familiar with the sales term
Buy one with the option.
Meaning who ever the successful bidder was, and they bought the first lot in a same multiple multiple lot, they could take 1 or all the lots.
Example: Military surplus
Trays of Snap-on & Proto side cutters.
10 in a tray
Guys would back off once they saw me bidding.
(Thinking I would take 1or 2 trays)
🌶 how many?
I would just say every one the you have to offer. Depending on the lot this could be 20+ trays of side cutters.
Guys would be like " sell me 1 or 2"
Nope
I don't sell @ at an auction, you know where my yard is.
I was pretty ruthless about the buying process.

Jump bids, ate lunch on lots even. But I carved a place for myself.

If we got along and there was a mutual respect, then things were good.

Many times guys would ask "Have you any interest in Lot #?

Yes-Why?

Well I need....

Okay 👍

Find out you didn't, and it was for profit only...



Hi my name is Scrapper and you wish you had never asked me to back off that lot.



This separated honest buyers and the gutter trash, and the gutter ones got treated as that.



Honesty was my policy
 
Footnote: when 🌶 showed up at a commercial auction I could hear often the
"Oh shit look who's here"

I would just laugh 🤣

Most that are familiar with the sales term
Buy one with the option.
Meaning who ever the successful bidder was, and they bought the first lot in a same multiple multiple lot, they could take 1 or all the lots.
Example: Military surplus
Trays of Snap-on & Proto side cutters.
10 in a tray
Guys would back off once they saw me bidding.
(Thinking I would take 1or 2 trays)
🌶 how many?
I would just say every one the you have to offer. Depending on the lot this could be 20+ trays of side cutters.
Guys would be like " sell me 1 or 2"
Nope
I don't sell @ at an auction, you know where my yard is.
Selling on the side on the same ground insults the auction.
Which matters if someone is going to frequent the site.
 
Shop of horrors awaits, chiropractor, then off to buy a new computer.
Options: pay partially with points
Buy locally put on card.

Did the math, $100 cheaper doing locally, pay with CC, collect points, pay off CC partially with points.
It's weird that I get more $$$ for my points that way.

Now the rant if the day:
This IMac computer is slow, 12.5 yrs old.

But it's Chrome that has made it obsolete.
Every operating system uses a Chrome base somewhere in their system.
Talk about all the eggs being in one basket.
 
Now the rant if the day:
This IMac computer is slow, 12.5 yrs old.

But it's Chrome that has made it obsolete.
Every operating system uses a Chrome base somewhere in their system.
Actually it's Apple that made it obsolete. They don't support old hardware with the latest OS releases. I have worked with old Mac computers that still work perfectly fine, but cannot be upgraded to the newer OS versions, because Apple says so. You can jump through some hoops and maybe get around it for a while, but sooner or later, the planned obsolescence wins and you either buy a new one or reformat it and put some other OS on it. Old Macs run linux like a champ. (Apple's OS isn't based on Chrome, BTW, it's based on a BSD Unix variant called openStep.). To be fair, the situation isn't much different with Windows, though at least they're a bit more forgiving about which hardware you can run it on.

In any event, good luck with the new one. Are you staying with Mac?
 
Can the consignor bid their own stuff up?
Because it looks like there's a trend on same like lots.
I know in certain live auctions its not allowed up here.
I have been in live auctions where that is stated in the terms and conditions. I remember even when the bid was refused for that reason.
I would think it’s probably a friend doing it
 
Actually it's Apple that made it obsolete. They don't support old hardware with the latest OS releases. I have worked with old Mac computers that still work perfectly fine, but cannot be upgraded to the newer OS versions, because Apple says so. You can jump through some hoops and maybe get around it for a while, but sooner or later, the planned obsolescence wins and you either buy a new one or reformat it and put some other OS on it. Old Macs run linux like a champ. (Apple's OS isn't based on Chrome, BTW, it's based on a BSD Unix variant called openStep.). To be fair, the situation isn't much different with Windows, though at least they're a bit more forgiving about which hardware you can run it on.

In any event, good luck with the new one. Are you staying with Mac?
Linux has saved my ass....and older computers multiple times !
Linux is known for its security and stability, leading NASA to switch the International Space Station's computers from Windows to Linux for better control and virus protection.
I have an older Mac Book air that my son in law gave me. I'm used to windows, and this thing takes some getting used too !
 
Last edited:
Shop of horrors awaits, chiropractor, then off to buy a new computer.
Options: pay partially with points
Buy locally put on card.

Did the math, $100 cheaper doing locally, pay with CC, collect points, pay off CC partially with points.
It's weird that I get more $$$ for my points that way.

Now the rant if the day:
This IMac computer is slow, 12.5 yrs old.

But it's Chrome that has made it obsolete.
Every operating system uses a Chrome base somewhere in their system.
Talk about all the eggs being in one basket.
Shop of horrors.... any guitars hiding in there ? RC planes and cars ? Agates ? Cash you lost years ago ? :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
Shop of horrors.... any guitars hiding in there ? RC planes and cars ? Agates ? Cash you lost years ago ? :laughing7: :laughing7:
Just a couple Zippo lighters that were dug.
Got my bits sorted out today.
(Well sort of)
 
Actually it's Apple that made it obsolete. They don't support old hardware with the latest OS releases. I have worked with old Mac computers that still work perfectly fine, but cannot be upgraded to the newer OS versions, because Apple says so. You can jump through some hoops and maybe get around it for a while, but sooner or later, the planned obsolescence wins and you either buy a new one or reformat it and put some other OS on it. Old Macs run linux like a champ. (Apple's OS isn't based on Chrome, BTW, it's based on a BSD Unix variant called openStep.). To be fair, the situation isn't much different with Windows, though at least they're a bit more forgiving about which hardware you can run it on.

In any event, good luck with the new one. Are you staying with Mac?
Probably will stay with the Imac.

20251028_171612.webp
 
Just a couple Zippo lighters that were dug.
Got my bits sorted out today.
(Well sort of)
I bought a storage unit years ago before the "managers" went through them. 2 old motorcycles, dirt bikes luckily no title actually needed. A couple of guitars in shipping cases, very nice guitars ! Collectibles ga-lore ! Tools, a few bows, A few unopened bottles of high end bourbon and scotch.... Drink....open boxes. Drink...open more boxes ! Drink.... call wife (girlfriend then) to drive me home !! :laughing7: :laughing7: It was the best unit ever ! Every unit from then on was crappola !!
 
No way to vote the stupid law makers out of office ?
I believe our voting system is a scam. Our leader of Victoria is hated and has run our state into the ground wracking up so much debt that its more than two larger states debt combined and an election comes up and they win and stay in power.
The entire state could vote for Mickey Mouse yet I guarantee they'd stay in power.
Our political system is a joke.
 
When these came out they were considered "less lethal". 50 Joules ? shoot a .68 caliber ball through 1/2 plywood... YOW ZAAA !!!!!

 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom