- Joined
- Feb 3, 2009
- Messages
- 52,270
- Reaction score
- 207,243
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- Eastern Ontario Canada
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
- Primary Interest:
- Relic Hunting
Morning everyone



Good morning everyone.
We have counted a total of five bucks in the yard this week. Two different eight-pointers, a six-point, a 4-point, and a little one that only has the two brow tines. They're all pretty shy and don't let us get very close. But this guy stopped and posed for a few photos last night.
View attachment 2231750
View attachment 2231751
I see this guy when you tell us stuff like this. 👍Congrats!
Not fair to seek symmetry in nature. Things are what they are and health and vitality are more important.
But the Prince of the field/ forest in your pics has quite the symmetry .
His caution is already being compromised. He's checking for other than his security.
Arriving too early to nightly destination sites of the local deer will also be happening.
Checking for receptive females that are not receptive yet. And once an old gal comes into estrous he'll toss caution to the wind to stick with her if she'll tolerate him. The chasing has multiple purposes in the process. One is positive and the other just basic no I'm not interested.
And no chasing isn't the same as following a receptive doe for a day together. Bedding where she does and often being places a buck normally knows better than to be in daylight.
Her fawn(s) from this spring get run off and can be seen confused slightly for the day or so she's with a buck. But not for long.
Those rear tarsal glands are hardly peed on but soon will be quite dark and expanded. His forehead too will show more color.
Color from glands hard to locate but from working branches too. Somewhere on that edge he might have around pic time.
Tallest tines might have some dirt stuck on them still.
Somewhere doe travel regular he'll work a scrape or more where the soil is exposed and pawed and peed on and raked with antlers at times.
Night time deer traffic will have no problem knowing he's around if downwind. Even a very long ways downwind.
If you get a whiff of what smells like a hot summer day on a cheap new blue tarp...(or an active Billy goat) ; you're getting close!
It's that season again.
He'll need good forage/browse to recover after dropping up to near a third of his body weight if he gets too ambitious.
Which he did (recover) last year or he wouldn't have afforded those antlers to grow so well. Their rapid growth already subtracting minerals and more from his skeletal system when new spring browse is hardly started to replace the reductions.
Somewhere away from then onery doe staking out privacy to drop the new year of fawns wanting their own prime browse as well.
He and other males will for a bachelor group and find a breeze to reduce bugs. A sightline to watch for predators while resting.
Last years fawns will get run off by momma and hang around the edges of her territory till she lets them rejoin her around weaning time or later.
Was looking at growing strawberries and came across this. Check out how this guy propagates them and the roots in 15 days.
I think ill be waiting a while to try that banana trick. This is where im at today fresh in the pot.It looks like you have to have a big ol' leggy strawberry plant to start with. Where do you get that?
I see this guy when you tell us stuff like this. 👍
View attachment 2231759
A family friend insisted we go see it with him.Loved that movie when I first saw it when I was 12. Classic.
Crow Killer might be the old book I have somewhere that was about worn out from it's life when I found it. And existed prior to the movie.Loved that movie when I first saw it when I was 12. Classic.
I read about the real JJ, ate livers 😵💫
Thanks for sharing with us