What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

You better get a move on striking that with all that snow you need to melt.
Actually that's a pretty cool pick up.
Is the other item a handle of some kind?
A flint and a steel fire starter
 
You better get a move on striking that with all that snow you need to melt.
Actually that's a pretty cool pick up.
Is the other item a handle of some kind?

A flint and a steel fire starter
Still missing one of 3 of the important parts of the fire starting kit...the char cloth.


1765239218949.webp
 
But sir I was taught by a very wise man-my father.
"Every Boy Scout should should carry one of these essential items"

View attachment 2236714

Yes that will certainly will work very well in place of the char cloth, but very hard to fit into the tinder box I use to hold my fire starting kit.
 
Was my misses birthday yesterday so I got her a special ballon. 😃
View attachment 2236715
But I balanced it out though with a childs birthday card.
View attachment 2236716
:laughing7:
My Mrs is on the 11th.
Need to get going on a card and a little something.
Though her main gift is an indoor growing tent.
She's only 5' and I'm 6'3".
It never to late to for her to sprout a few more inches.
 
That's one thing I could never do, underground mining.
We have a recreated gold town about 2 hrs drive from us with a village, and everything you would have seen in the diggers days in the 1800s. There is also an original underground mine. I was there about 15 yrs ago and with the mine tour. I stopped to take pictures of a quartz seam in a wall as the rest went on. I took the shots then realised they were out of sight down a drive and I was disoriented. I started sweating and thinking which way did they go? I heard voices and followed and breathed a sigh of relief when I caught up. I don't doubt it was really no big deal and it wouldn't have been long before anyone else turned up but just that initial feeling alone underground was freaky.
Fantastic place though, Sovereign Hill Ballarat.
View attachment 2236539
View attachment 2236540View attachment 2236541View attachment 2236542View attachment 2236545View attachment 2236543View attachment 2236544
Interesting. There's a gold mining ghost town in Death Valley called Ballarat.
 
Yes that will certainly will work very well in place of the char cloth, but very hard to fit into the tinder box I use to hold my fire starting kit.
I picked this holder up yesterday.
I got a tin one as well.
20251207_174925.webp
 
My Mrs is on the 11th.
Need to get going on a card and a little something.
Though her main gift is an indoor growing tent.
She's only 5' and I'm 6'3".
It never to late to for her to sprout a few more inches.
Apparently coffee grinds and crushed egg shells are helpful.
 
Yes that will certainly will work very well in place of the char cloth, but very hard to fit into the tinder box I use to hold my fire starting kit.

I have what looks like a miniature paint can I put a small hole in each end of to make char cloth.
When the jet of burning fumes lets up during a rest on some hot coals I plug the holes and let it cool to check how cooked the cotton fabric is.

A quick modern cheat is the dryer lint from a load of cotton towels.
Compressed in a baggie it can ride dry in a heavy coat outdoors in case of a lack of material when wanting a fire quick like.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom