"Diggers"

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to get something off my chest: I watched that TV show called "Diggers", and for me, that was probably one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen on TV. No wonder we Americans are often viewed by foreigners as jerks and shallow-minded stumble-bums. Those two men (in my view) acted like (5 year old) boys who found a $50 bill, then one of them runs across the turf like he was a bit on the "shallow" side when he finds a coin.. I have never seen behavior like this with adult men this age before. Sure, it's nice to find an old coin but a large cent causing a man to act so silly? I don't think so. On top of it all, why make holes the size of a shoebox just to find a small coin? No wonder we detectorists are viewed as something other than desirable by the general public - with behavior such as is seen on that program..

But, that's not what bothered me the most. It was the incessant beep-beep, beep-beep which was added to the normal sound, out of sync with the detector used in the video. It looked like an AT Pro, and they don't beep just to beep, they beep when there is a target near them, not in such a perfect beep-beep rhythm out of step with the movement of the search coil either. In other words, the show appeared to have staged the sound, it not being produced that way by that detector when being used in that fashion. I got tired of hearing the noise. In my own personal view, that program does great dis-service to our hobby and to the average American male too. I will not waste my time watching it again. This is just my personal opinion, something I rarely have. Larry

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only seen that show a couple times and i know what your saying... But i will say when I found my South Carolina confederate breast plate after 2 hours of digging nothing but trash and a 1 hour walk in and out to get to the spot, i was running around like i just scored the winning field goal in the super bowl for about 10 minutes, but this only happens every so often but i seriously know people who get excited when they find melted lead or a eagle button so some of it may be fake for entertainment purposes but im sure some are real if they really finding once in a lifetime relics. :occasion14:

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I need to get something off my chest: I watched that TV show called "Diggers", and for me, that was probably one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen on TV. No wonder we Americans are often viewed by foreigners as jerks and shallow-minded stumble-bums. Those two men (in my view) acted like (5 year old) boys who found a $50 bill, then one of them runs across the turf like he was a bit on the "shallow" side when he finds a coin.. I have never seen behavior like this with adult men this age before. Sure, it's nice to find an old coin but a large cent causing a man to act so silly? I don't think so. On top of it all, why make holes the size of a shoebox just to find a small coin? No wonder we detectorists are viewed as something other than desirable by the general public - with behavior such as is seen on that program..

But, that's not what bothered me the most. It was the incessant beep-beep, beep-beep which was added to the normal sound, out of sync with the detector used in the video. It looked like an AT Pro, and they don't beep just to beep, they beep when there is a target near them, not in such a perfect beep-beep rhythm out of step with the movement of the search coil either. In other words, the show appeared to have staged the sound, it not being produced that way by that detector when being used in that fashion. I got tired of hearing the noise. In my own personal view, that program does great dis-service to our hobby and to the average American male too. I will not waste my time watching it again. This is just my personal opinion, something I rarely have. Larry
........ LL......ALL I CAN SAY ABOUT WHAT YOU SAID HERE ... IS THERE IS A LOT OF TRUTH IN YOUR STATEMENT,,,,,,,A LOT OF TRUTH.... BUT REMEMBER THEY ARE LIKE ALL REALITY SHOW PEOPLE..... THEY DO WHAT THE MAN WITH MONEY TELLS THEM TO DO...... AND THAT STEADY BEEP BEEP THAT MAKES NO SENSE.IS PRETTY DUMB...

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm, I must have built in tranquilizers.
I don't ever remember acting out like that over anything.
I've been psyched enough to call friends on the phone, when I was alone & found certain things.
I've also walked over to hunting partners & waved them over to me on rare occasions.
Once I even tried to do a happy dance while still kneeling at a hole.

But I never got up & ran anywhere. would take an obvious Rabid animal,
barreling at me at high speed, or to see someone in obvious imminent danger,
to even get me to say Maybe I may move fast :laughing9:

Of course I may just sit there then & say 'woooh Look at the pretty Colors' :dontknow:

even on a days supply of coffee I just don't move like I'm 5 , on sugar shock :tongue3:

But I guess it's cool to know some people get that excited over their finds :laughing7:

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been detecting for years, and I like the show. There's bound to be a bit of sensationalism with "Diggers", or else it would not draw an audience. One reason I like it is because my boy, 12, never really showed an interest in the hobby. Now, after watching Diggers, he's begging me to go out detecting. That in itself is worthwhile to me.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Jeff, It must be the coffee ! I don't get excited to the point of running around either. In fact I have been charged while bull fighting in Mexico and by deer in the woods, and I merely took one step to the side in each case. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been detecting for years, and I like the show. There's bound to be a bit of sensationalism with "Diggers", or else it would not draw an audience. One reason I like it is because my boy, 12, never really showed an interest in the hobby. Now, after watching Diggers, he's begging me to go out detecting. That in itself is worthwhile to me.
..... SO YOU SEE THERE IS A GOOD SIDE TO THE SHOW........LIKE ANY THING ELSE EVERY THING HAS IT'S GOOD POINTS AND BAD POINTS......... THERE IS NOTHING THAT IS PERFICT..LIKE MY SPELLING OF PERFECT...SEE WHAT I MEAN...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, It must be the coffee ! I don't get excited to the point of running around either. In fact I have been charged while bull fighting in Mexico and by deer in the woods, and I merely took one step to the side in each case. Frank

View attachment 728289

Yea I had a deer come running out of the woods in the Dark in front of me so close,
I felt the breeze.
Can't say it scared me, as I never even took a deep breath after, that I remember.
just thought to my self, that was interesting :tongue3:

that's whay I say I may just sit there & watch The blood & guts Fly rather then flinch
which probably flinching takes up more energy :unhappysmiley:

Last edited:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kind of like the show. Yeah the antics seem a bit much sometimes, but I do know some pretty excitable people woh get charged up when they find something that they really like. At least unlike the spike tv show these guys are shown digging pull tabs and can slaw, and there's not some obviously planted high dollar finds every single time. Also... the beeping and other tones are put in when the sound track is recorded.... it's to add something where otherwise there would be no sound at all, just gives a sense of action.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, some of the stuff those guys do is kinda goofy, last week I had a 2 ring day and after the second one I took a pict of myself lying on the ground and texted it to the guys I detect with and said " look I'm sliding!", oh well we gotta make fun of ourselves sometimes too as well as the reality tv guys, HH

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just shows you that anyone will sell out anything they love, and damn the consequences and damage they do so long as THEY get their "15 minutes of fame"

Hopefully it dies out before it does any more damage.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I just finished watching the two new episodes of Diggers. I notice that the guys are invited to detect on the properties and that they pretty much turn over their finds. It seems that the network created the show, cast for and hired a couple of guys and then scripted how they should act. Don't think anything is planted per se, well maybe a couple of things, but the guys are told to act excited to promote the appeal of the program. It could be better, it could be worse(Boom Baby). Remember, they didn't make this show for you, but rather to make money and get ratings from the general public...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me they seem to be calming down allot & actually changing
to be more detecting audience friendly.
like they are interested in treasure forum members opinion.
I didn't even see diggers dictionary last 2 shows :hello2:

although I don't know how much say they have,
but it appears to me they are throwing some weight around,
or have a decent production team, and trying to tone down
what is most disliked.

although "Tweezable g" ? :tongue3: oh well...
I can live with that :laughing7:

Last edited:

billsfan714

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
I'm watching diggers right now. I dvr'd it and I love the show. The two guys on the show are kinda funny. Sure they run around like kids. I'm sure it's for television purposes. I feel if they added no excitement, people would lose interest. This show does make me want to go out tomorrow morning. I am gonna go out in the AM .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm watching diggers right now. I dvr'd it and I love the show. The two guys on the show are kinda funny. Sure they run around like kids. I'm sure it's for television purposes. I feel if they added no excitement, people would lose interest. This show does make me want to go out tomorrow morning. I am gonna go out in the AM .

hmmm. Good luck ! I wish I could say that I was going out.
no sign of going above freezing here till maybe Tuesday :(
and detecting :dontknow:

Untitled.jpg

WVARelics

Jun 21, 2012
Winchester, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me they seem to be calming down allot & actually changing
to be more detecting audience friendly.
like they are interested in treasure forum members opinion.
I didn't even see diggers dictionary last 2 shows :hello2:

although I don't know how much say they have,
but it appears to me they are throwing some weight around,
or have a decent production team, and trying to tone down
what is most disliked.

although "Tweezable g" ? :tongue3: oh well...
I can live with that :laughing7:

They taped the shows months ago.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the show, and I'd hunt with those guys. I get a kick out of finding something cool, and it would be fun to hunt with people who do as well..... I'm not going to run around like a maniac (or at least i don't think I will) but I've still never found a large cent either, so who knows what I'll do when I do? If these guys are getting paid to do what they love, well we should all be so lucky, and at least it doesn't feel faked like that other show.......

plus they start out every show the same way I start every hunt... "I'd like to find this, and I'd like to find that".... and they never really find "this or that" same as most of my hunts...... I'd love to find Spanish silver....last time I got some clad and a crack pipe..... :tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread