I'm reaching the breaking point with Oak Island ...how bout you ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... When I dig iron it is typically chunks of rust. They also said the railroad spike tested as a maritime spike....

Nope. This is where you're un-informed. All that iron you dig, that's rusted and junky, is in actuality : proof of a treasure "just a little deeper" (you should have kept digging). And all those railroad spikes you saw as a kid lying next to the RR tracks ? You only THOUGHT they were modern RR junk. In actuality, they are maritime spikes showing the way to certain treasure.

Aren't you glad this show has corrected your mistaken notions ??

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watched. They found more wood and some iron plates. Somehow their iron looks pristine. When I dig iron it is typically chunks of rust. They also said the railroad spike tested as a maritime spike, but man it sure looks like a railroad road spike. Also sounds like there will be another season.

thanks, thats about what I expected to see, I just couldnt stand the endless rhetorical questions.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh nuts, forgot it was on tonight. From the sounds of what I am hearing more old wood and now new-old iron? What's next, something that might payoff for the dollars and time spent? Was this the season end?

earl&patricia

Jan 12, 2017
Conroe, TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO; ACE 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the show. Even if they don't find anything, at least they are able to spend thier hard earned money on dream from their child hood. I for one can't, but it sure would have been nice to do it. Wish I had a brother to search out my child hood dreams. They seem like good and close brothers.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
"The highest-rated show on The History Channel, and the highest-rated show on cable Tuesdays last Tuesday was The Curse of Oak Island–it had more viewers than WWE Smackdown, and more viewers than The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and The Challengecombined.That’s quite an impressive record for a show that is about a lot more digging than finding."

Recap...

Big hole drilling machine gets way down in hole #3 and finds wood...then hits bedrock.
Marty is done, Rick looks sad, Rick has puppy dog eyes so Marty caves and says they will dig another hole.
Off camera Marty calls Todd Hoffman for advice on how he handles failure and embarrassment on a nationwide scale and successfully resists the urge to kill himself.
Rick doesn't care, he never cares, he is just happy to spend millions of dollars to find clues to add to their growing database of useless knowledge.
The relatives of the first kid to dig for treasure on the island return to bury some ashes made in glass from a sister that died of cancer.
Again they flashback to last year when the sisters showed up with a gold cross that supposedly came from 3 treasure chests the original three found on that first dig.
Again I am flabbergasted that that 3 chest information was new and never mentioned before in original accounts of the first 30' dig of the original three, although finding treasure, (but not treasure chests), was a little fact added years later to the story which probably started all the fuss.

Hole #4 is named for the brother's parents.
They dig.

Along the way professional detector guy finds a gold coin but it turns out it is a gilded button instead....he does not seem embarrassed by this mistake because it held people's attention through a million commercials.
He also finds an old iron needle used to sew sails and there is a story mentioned about using a tool like this to sew dead men's lips shut before they were thrown overboard.
At this point most viewers hope they would use this tool to sew up the narrator's lips but no such luck.

During the show there are more trips to another expert who declares that cross really old gold and that button...an old button.
She mentions the words "special and important finds"...but we already knew that.

Hole number four proceeds and all kinds of cool stuff is brought up including some kind of metal plate and a washer that seems to fit one of the holes in that plate...neither particularly rusted to the point that most of the rusted iron I dig up seems to be.
More theories are expounded, the shows catchwords "Could it be?" is always ever present in the backs of everyone's minds.
This season ends, it seems there will be another.

At this point I go looking for some very old flypaper that we found in our house that I hoped was old enough to still have been made with arsenic so I could boil it down and make a nice cup of tea.
I can't find it so I have resigned myself to returning next season to watch what kind of other huge equipment the brothers will bring in to help find that oh so elusive treasure.

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother watches this show religiously which leaves me with one burning question...............was I adopted??

I was entrigued when he told me some guy was out on the island with a metal detector, cool I thought, I'm into that hobby so I watched 2 episodes with him.

Part way through episode #2 I told him this was a waste of time, and you're getting suckered in with no payoff in the end.

He still watches religiously and I still search for the adoption papers.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
digger27, I will probably sit down tonight and pull it up on cable reply(Xfinity) and run it to see the old wood and iron. My wife has a vid going on with someone about clothing so I don't want to hear that and just as soon watch Oak Island. Maybe I'll see something entertaining and maybe I'll go to sleep. I just wonder where the limit is as the value of what is there can only be so much so when do you say "Do we have the chance to make it back plus or cut our losses and leave?" I still want to know where the MD'ers are with the two-box units looking around to see if there aren't other sites that are on that island and are not so deep or messed up? Geobound, sounds like you might find something before they do, LOL!

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have watched every episode since the show first came on. Do I consider myself a sucker. No way. It is entertaining. Far, far, far, far, far, far, far, better than watching some other lame sit com that isn't funny or worse, the oscars or grammys to see Hollywoods love fest with one another. My wife and I sit down and although we know they may never find anything, I find it entertaining. As for last night, the expert was a lady who they said teaches at Penn State. An academic from a major university would not risk there reputation giving out false information, unless it is a philosophy or some related field, where there is not an actual science or reality. If she is correct and say that piece of metal is from 1650 to 1800, how could it have possibly got there. I will be watching for another season, even if I am the only one.:icon_king:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They have also pushed back the history of hex nuts perhaps 100 to even 300 years! Astonishing!

Who knew "treasure chests" were held together with 5" x 5" joist brackets?

Rock22

Sep 9, 2013
Erie Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After last nights season finale I am beginning to wonder what they found. I still find it very hard to believe that something could be so deeply buried by people with shovels. The comments at the very end seem to tell us that there will be an end to this hunt. I do think if there is anything of value they will destroy it so what good is that? Its like they are doing brain surgery with a chainsaw! Send someone down the hole or maybe a camera before you claw grab!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock22, I believe they call that thing a "Hammer-grab". Doesn't sound like there's any finesse to that and it's all grab and growl. If it is at all fragile, too bad! I think that like others have said, anything of real value was likely found early on, hidden from public and then the mystery perpetuated. Dunfield made such a mess of that end of the island that the best thing to do is dam up the cove, and start peeling back layers to see if anything is anywhere on that end of the island in the top 100 feet and if not, call it and consider it done. Or call in explosives experts and just turn up that end of the island in hopes of bringing the treasure (or what's left of it) to the surface in the blasts. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Interesting...
This season's premier tool was the hammer grab, next year's could be this.

Attachments

• nuclear-explosion-wallpaper-768x480.jpg
    nuclear-explosion-wallpaper-768x480.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 111

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure that would go deep enough? Of course there would nothing left to search for or and island, Halifax. . . Oops, little heavy-handed on the explosives. That is a BIG step up!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Sure that would go deep enough? Of course there would nothing left to search for or and island, Halifax. . . Oops, little heavy-handed on the explosives. That is a BIG step up!

Sure is a big step, but the upside is after this tool is deployed that should limit the rest of the shows after that...pretty much.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a confession. Years back when I went there as a tourist, there was some scrap metal in my vehicle that I tossed into the swamp. An old railroad spike, a couple coins picked up at a swap meet and four pull tabs.

Just kiddin....

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, it's all PatrickD's fault that show keeps going! No more tossing junk aside without thinking some fool(yes,. Maybe even me) might find it and think they're on to something. Of course if digger27's "little" bomb goes off, we will have to find a new group to pick on, back to Beale maybe???Or not.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. This is where you're un-informed. All that iron you dig, that's rusted and junky, is in actuality : proof of a treasure "just a little deeper" (you should have kept digging). And all those railroad spikes you saw as a kid lying next to the RR tracks ? You only THOUGHT they were modern RR junk. In actuality, they are maritime spikes showing the way to certain treasure.

Aren't you glad this show has corrected your mistaken notions ??
One other thing here with all the hoopla over the coconut fiber. Has anyone actually seen the fiber laid out like a filter pad as they keep showing in the drawings? Could it be packing material? Listen up Mr. Announcer! Could the coconut fibers have been used like excelsior for packing booze bottles in barrels? Could it point to a record breaking cache of wine? (They are all holding a bottle of Martys private vintage from his winery) Could that be a remnant of a label? (commercials) Next season Martys partner in the winery is called to authenticate it as a 1700s vintage and no that aroma doesn't come from the swamp. Could it be from being buried in the pig pen behind the winery? Stay tuned for previews of next season. (BTW the 1700 on the label was $17.00 not years). Closing shot of everyone sitting in the war room drunk off their butts, empty wine bottles everywhere..........

bigtimedeal

Feb 3, 2011
FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm kind of surprised none of the metal detecting or gold prospecting equipment companies are running ads during the show. Seems like the right target audience might catch the dream. I don't know anything about the $. Maybe it's too expensive

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread