What's new

RANDOM FINDS THREAD - Finds you found...any kind...anytime...from anywhere to share.

October 2015, was metal detecting the "Original" Little League baseball field where the first LL World Series' were held. The site has been hammered over the years by other MDers. I was just beginning to learn about my Compadre and was digging "everything" and finding "everything". One hole produced a large "washer" with a square center hole. Was going to toss it in my trash bucket but decided to take a closer look because of the square hole. I noticed unusual shapes in the metal underneath all the crud. Got it home and soaked it for an hour in distilled water and cleaned gently with a soft toothbrush. Found some interesting markings and a small scratch (my rookie digging technique) that helped me determine it was copper. Another soak in hydrogen peroxide for an hour and gentle brushing produced this............
kan ei tsu ho.webpIMG_20160410_204947.webp
Research told me this was a Japanese cast coin form the Meinwa era (1769 to 1820). In a recent thread another poster gave it another name......"kan-ei-tsu-ho".......those are the names of the characters/symbols from (12-6-9-3 o'clock on the coin).
I was curious how that coin came to be in north central PA. I checked to see when Japan first played in the LLWS and found it was in 1962. A quick check of the historical record helped me determine that particular WS was played at the new Lamade Field several miles away and on the opposite side of the river!!
My best guess is that the coin was either dropped by visiting tourists who wanted to see where the first LLWS games were played or it was intentionally buried there for luck.......................
 
Last edited:
October 2015, was metal detecting the "Original" Little League baseball field where the first LL World Series' were held. The site has been hammered over the years by other MDers. I was just beginning to learn about my Compadre and was digging "everything" and finding "everything". One hole produced a large "washer" with a square center hole. Was going to toss it in my trash bucket but decided to take a closer look because of the square hole. I noticed unusual shapes in the metal underneath all the crud. Got it home and soaked it for an hour in distilled water and cleaned gently with a soft toothbrush. Found some interesting markings and a small scratch (my rookie digging technique) that helped me determine it was copper. Another soak in hydrogen peroxide for an hour and gentle brushing produced this............
View attachment 1299691View attachment 1299690
Research told me this was a Japanese cast coin form the Meinwa era (1769 to 1820). In a recent thread another poster gave it another name......"kan-ei-tsu-ho".......those are the names of the characters/symbols from (12-6-9-3 o'clock on the coin).
I was curious how that coin came to be in north central PA. I checked to see when Japan first played in the LLWS and found it was in 1962. A quick check of the historical record helped me determine that particular WS was played at the new Lamade Field several miles away and on the opposite side of the river!!
My best guess is that the coin was either dropped by visiting tourists who wanted to see where the first LLWS games were played or it was intentionally buried there for luck.......................

That is sooo weird!! I, also, found a Chinese coin down at the old LL fields. It looks exactly like yours. I'm gonna have to dig it out and research it. More than likely, the same set of circumstances for it being dropped where it was....:dontknow:
 
Marbles found MDin.

DSCN0545.webp

GOD Bless

Chris
 
October 2015, was metal detecting the "Original" Little League baseball field where the first LL World Series' were held. The site has been hammered over the years by other MDers. I was just beginning to learn about my Compadre and was digging "everything" and finding "everything". One hole produced a large "washer" with a square center hole. Was going to toss it in my trash bucket but decided to take a closer look because of the square hole. I noticed unusual shapes in the metal underneath all the crud. Got it home and soaked it for an hour in distilled water and cleaned gently with a soft toothbrush. Found some interesting markings and a small scratch (my rookie digging technique) that helped me determine it was copper. Another soak in hydrogen peroxide for an hour and gentle brushing produced this............
View attachment 1299691View attachment 1299690
Research told me this was a Japanese cast coin form the Meinwa era (1769 to 1820). In a recent thread another poster gave it another name......"kan-ei-tsu-ho".......those are the names of the characters/symbols from (12-6-9-3 o'clock on the coin).
I was curious how that coin came to be in north central PA. I checked to see when Japan first played in the LLWS and found it was in 1962. A quick check of the historical record helped me determine that particular WS was played at the new Lamade Field several miles away and on the opposite side of the river!!
My best guess is that the coin was either dropped by visiting tourists who wanted to see where the first LLWS games were played or it was intentionally buried there for luck.......................

Respectfully, I think it is a Ch'ing (Qing) dynasty, dating from 1644-1911.
See webpage with description (and pictures), scroll down thru that dynasty
till you see yours (upside down)
Chinese Coins
 
I dug this Three Merry Widows tin years ago. I've seen these posted on here before, but never with the "item" still inside. Nasty and interesting...but mostly nasty lolImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461562985.850110.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461563018.093979.webp
 
Respectfully, I think it is a Ch'ing (Qing) dynasty, dating from 1644-1911.
See webpage with description (and pictures), scroll down thru that dynasty
till you see yours (upside down)
Chinese Coins

I'm definitely not an authority on foreign coins, let alone Asian varieties............
Thank you for the link. I looked through the varieties, but did not see any with the 11 waves on the reverse. Still, it may be just as you indicated..............
 
Back in the early 1960's I was about 9 years old. I seen a very small square of green paper behind a store. When I unfolded it I was shocked to see it was a hundred dollar bill. Back then that would of been more then a weeks wages for most people.
 
I dug this Three Merry Widows tin years ago. I've seen these posted on here before, but never with the "item" still inside. Nasty and interesting...but mostly nasty lolView attachment 1304327View attachment 1304328

Yours is in great shape, for-not-being-squashed-flat-as-its-a-dug-relic-and-all...! :thumbsup:
The contents may have helped keep the shape of the tin, allowing you to separate
the two halves, to find a surprise inside...!!
 
Found him last weekend for a quarter at an estate sale. Just because. His name is Rufus the Rebel Dog.

DSC05564 (692x1024).webp
 
I found this in a cave with my Garrett ADS 3 on Guam back in the early 80s. It was located about 80 feet from a rubble pile where an obvious explosion had occurred. all 1015.webp
 
yup I've seen others post them before.
 
Hi AARC: In the 1960's I was searching a local beach that had an old bath house on it. When I began searching 2 Nuns called me over and asked the usual questions. After answering them they said they would say a prayer to St Francis that I find something. As God is my witness about 10 minutes later I found a 1940's Andre' Bouchard Watch. I ran over and showed it to them. They were happy. I told them, "see that, God does answer prayers." They said "We Know." It's one of my fondest memories. PEACE:RONB
 
Hi AARC; In 1988 I found a Viking Chieftains Sword from the Battle of Broughe, England.It was fought in 912AD. I donated it to the local Museum. I don't have the Right to take a true treasure from the people. They put my name on the ID Plaque. PEACE:RONB
 
My first Colonial find..Georgian Shoe Buckle 1720-1790.

005 (1).webp

GOD Bless


Chris
 
Well, not my find, my 40+yr-old son spotted it one day, looked unusual, so picked it up.
Its a miniature stove lid for a little wood stove!
No embossing or initials or dates that I can see.... sorry!
Cool find, though...!
PICT5549.webp
PICT5550.webp
 
a silver nugget found while detecting a old house site P1100047.webpP1100046.webp
 
a copper brooch i found detecting P1100033.webpP1100032.webp
 
I found this buckle in a South Carolina swamp 14 years ago. It was identified on this site recently as a late 1600's to early 1700's baldric buckle. It is my oldest find to date.

2018-02-14 04.58.58.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom