THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim,

We'll let the beans trail down the other side of the teepee and see how that works out. My wife has some native blood courtesy of her dad and ironically the line traces back to the Kaniwaki Mohawks so kind of full circle.

If it works out I'll be sure to post some pictures. We also have some spaghetti squash just planted. Should be a good gardening year with any luck.

I have one pole Cranberry bean that loves to climb, and a couple of other heritage varieties that are not too bad.
Going to plant along the north side of the berry patch this year as the grand cloth goes up 2ft and the fencing goes up 8ft.

The neighbour on the side of the field was commenting on the number of deer in field around the berry patch.
Sees them in the early morning and at night when he shines the high power flashlight out, and can see all the eyes staring back at him.
Oh I can imagine they're all waiting for the day I leave the gate open......

Still have to build the premanent ones and run the electric wire around the patch. As things mature I'm sure there will be plenty wanting to feast on the fruit of my labours.
Friend was joking with me yesterday I built a prison fence around the patch-I replied I need the inmate labour to go along with the fencing.:laughing7:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jim,

One of the permaculture guys I follow actually plants some forage for the wildlife along his woodline to share the bounty in his case he has rabbit so he plants clover. Then he has a row of raspberries mixed in with garlic and onions to keep them away from his unfenced garden and it seems to work for him.

Not sure that would work with the deer though.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vewyvewyquiet.jpeg

This would. :angel12:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Off to "stick my face in somebody's new mowed lawn"

Great song

Now I wonder if WIF has posted up a different meaning at the 1:30 mark.......:dontknow::laughing7: Either way best of luck...

720AA7B2-7BFB-4CC4-A362-F8ACFB2DB48B_1_201_a.jpeg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WHADIFIND This would. :angel12:[/QUOTE said:
Oh the animals have it pretty god around here, come hunting season they know where it's safe. Then again a few bushels of apples along the trails helps them stay around.
Rather have nature than bag nature for the pleasure.
1979 was the last thing I shot was a duck-and it floated away.
I was brought up as a "You shoot it-you eat it" I hung it up after that for some reason I rather watch or shoot it with a camera.
Maybe one day I'll take something for a meal-no need to so now though.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mornin all.

For deer , it's about browse.
Mature forest with limbs/twigs out of reach and a shading canopy stunting or eliminating growth on the forest floor offers little to nothing.

Up to 7/several pounds a day at times for a single deer.
Figure 2 1/2 lbs / a little over a kilo per nursing doe twice a day. (Though serious browsing may be more often instead of only twice a day , it's daily volume I'm trying for.)

Several deer can mean nearly fifty pounds of browse a day. Held in our hands , that is a lot of browse. Does a given habitat have the tonnage to sustain that kind of browsing? Often deer end up wandering a "circuit" . That allows them frsh tender stuff vs mowing things down to tough or blunt stage.
But come winter and severity of weather and snow conditions , despite a drop in metabolism , loss of mobility where deer "yard" up requires adequate browse in that confined area. Along with thermal cover. A tricky balance , and a niche.
Being yarding areas are traditional (taught by older deer) , deer return annually. Stressing the habitat more if not expansive in niche size.

While they enjoy a smorgasboard , and new items on the menu, Some times getting in our gardens has more importance than just for a treat.
Trace minerals. Fertilizer. Lime even. All the things that make plants thrive through our amendments can be a boost to a deer's diet.
Nursing doe can use such. Growing fawns can. As can all....

Planting tonnage of browse near or adjacent can distract deer from a garden.
IF it does not draw more distant deer till we're back to low browse tonnage again.
And there may still be the deer or deer that just need a nibble or two (or a kilo ) of something thier instinct says is good for them this particular day . Over the fence.

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you called it! Heading to urgent care. Grandson has poison ivy all over his face. It's gonna be an event alright. :tongue3:

I have a daughter that just smells poison ivy and she breaks out. Big water bubbles form sometimes. She got Covid in July and breaks out in hives every evening still! Best of luck to the little guy. The worst part is when they tell you it just has to run its course.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
First fawns of the year reports are starting here in the mid-lower great lakes region.
Doe have staked out ,claimed and been defending fawning sites.
Putting last years fawns , chased away. Some of which will have fawns of thier own if bred last year.
Meanwhile those last years fawns are hanging on the fringe beyond the defensive doe , if not bumped farther away by other doe claiming the areas they wander into.
The more experienced and dominate doe , claim the better areas.
Making for a tough time of year for some deer.
Who often find more trouble than they seek. Vehicle traffic is one example.

Those young can be seen loitering , about in daylight ; and in areas deer are not seen later in the year.
It's not uncommon for me to jump one on the edge of the yard where forest edge has browse this time of year.
It's mother likely within a quarter mile with her new fawn(s) in the niche habitat that will provide her nutrition and the fawns as it gets weaned. Meanwhile last years fawn remains on the in-betweens.
They'll reunite in time if all survive. If not , they'll ease around other deer again late summer , on if available , share by utilizing preferred browse for that time of year.

Multiple fawns on the ground is best for the odds of an individuals survival.
But breeding runs over an extended period of time , and thus birthing times.
Older doe often first. Last years doe fawns that were successfully bred last. Roughly.
But , an older doe that didn't take first breeding estrous can come into season again a month later. (Fawns I don't know if they can/do a second time.) They (fawn doe) often are coming into first heat in Dec.. Which is getting late for later birthing. It avoids dropping a fawn in a prolonged winter ending /cold and poor nutrition early spring though. Maybe natures way of hedging it's bets.
First time young doe momma's have a rough go of sites to fawn on if there is competition , and lack experience. They are important though as a year class.
A severe winter can create high fawn mortality both in fawning time , fawn condition due to winter stress on doe , and when new of the year fawns face thier first winter before being called "yearlings" when /if they reach thier first birthday...
Gaps in age classes due to an individual high winter related mortality on a fawn class can (well , has to) have effect on future generations numbers.

Last edited:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The missus is having a burger of some sort or other that we had in the freezer. I'll be chopping up some mushrooms finely and some seasonings as a topping for her.

I've had an upper partial plate for 9 years now and the remaining 5 teeth were getting extremely loose....so yesterday had the last ones removed as well as a bone protrusion had to be reduced so the denture would fit properly so I've got 5 or 6 dissolving stitches also.

All that to say I'll be making some hummus and eating some of the sauteed mushrooms got to stick to soft foods for the next while.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
The she shed has thousands of dead ants on the floor! I knew I was going to have to deal with pests. That’s not the concern. My concern is what did they die from? Are there toxic fumes? Heat? Lack of food and water? Argh! I’m in need of a broom and dust pan.

Grandson was given pills, he’s going to be ok. One patch is pretty close to the eye. I gave the mom the list of what to do every spring through fall for these kids, but I tell her every year. Talking to the wall. I guess I better start training the kids to take care of themselves.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a daughter that just smells poison ivy and she breaks out. Big water bubbles form sometimes. She got Covid in July and breaks out in hives every evening still! Best of luck to the little guy. The worst part is when they tell you it just has to run its course.

My daughter is suffering from shingles after her bout with covid.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
You're never too old to run away from home and go fishing.
Maybe catch up with Bart down South or something...
:laughing7:

Dude, you know I just got back! LOL
I am grounded for a couple weeks. My dad’s 90th birthday is this weekend and next weekend we have a wedding to attend. (Getting married on Saturday of a 3 day weekend. How rude!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread