What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good morning.
The Ship still floats.
The Rum is dried out.
Lastly, before I vanish for several years again,
The chair is against the Wall! :BangHead:
 
Morning and welcome ESP1776
We feel honoured to have seen you before you vanish again for years.
 
Lots of targets Bart for a small area.

I recall a park system that this arched walkway went over a ravine.
I was detecting, and digging coin after coin-things were crazy busy-I gave up at 215 pennies later-I guess it was a wish over the shoulder spot tosses.
I have no idea how many I left there......

were you fanning or scooping?
 
Fanning for me....I don't even own a scoop...although I'd like one sometimes. Im a skin diver...fins mask snorkel, metal detector, and dive knife/digging tool.
 
Fanning for me....I don't even own a scoop...although I'd like one sometimes. Im a skin diver...fins mask snorkel, metal detector, and dive knife/digging tool.

Good stuff

Bought a scoop-tried the scoopifound that I could retrieve faster with a digger.

I read one time "It was raining so I didn't go snorkling" Me'z thought....aren't you'z getting wet? (Well until a sparky hits)

 
Good morning.
The Ship still floats.
The Rum is dried out.
Lastly, before I vanish for several years again,
The chair is against the Wall! :BangHead:

The man has a long mustache !!
Could it be....Mike??
 
Its kinda funny, how I revert back here even though I tell myself no.
When stressed, everyone wants to go to whatever place feels like home and that's this forum.
Tnet.

Plus, I really miss my friends.
 
Mornin all.

Drought is broken here. Lots o rain!
Sure beats snow and ice.
 
RC,

Glad for you insofar as the rain....bone dry around here so lots of watering for the garden. Some rain in the forecast here's hoping it comes to be.
 
RC,

Glad for you insofar as the rain....bone dry around here so lots of watering for the garden. Some rain in the forecast here's hoping it comes to be.

If it keeps tracking N.E. , you'll see a good bit.
lin_radar_mw_loop1.webp
 
Last edited:
A reprint of an article making a case for gold as a store of value against inflation.



Editor’s Note:
Below, precious metals expert Adrian Day makes a powerful case for gold today. While our views differ on Bitcoin, we think his overall analysis on gold is spot on.


At a time when many investors are calling gold "a relic," and many younger ones, in particular, are buying Bitcoin instead, it is worth going back to fundamentals and looking at gold’s role as money over thousands of years. I am not here to attack Bitcoin. Rather, I am here to defend gold.
Gold has an advantage that Bitcoin does not have, that Bitcoin inherently cannot have, which is its age. Gold has survived and performed its job for literally thousands of years. We shall have to wait a little longer to say that Bitcoin is as good as gold.
Nearly two-and-a-half millennia ago, Aristotle wrote his famous treatise on money. Money serves as a medium of exchange, a store of value, and a unit of account. In his treatise, Aristotle listed the characteristics of ideal money.
Money should be divisible, which is why we do not use fine art as money. It should be fungible, which is why we do not use real estate as money. It should be rare, which is why we do not use iron ore as money, and so on. Aristotle concluded that only gold has all these attributes and is the ideal form of money.
Long before the formal gold standard, when kings, emperors, and republics issued gold coins, gold was the backing of the monetary system. Gold has preserved its purchasing power throughout history. Roy Jastram, in his thorough book, The Golden Constant, looked at the price of gold, the cost of living, and the purchasing power of gold year-by-year back to the middle of the 16[SUP]th[/SUP] century, and before that, though the records are less reliable, back to the Magna Carta in 1215. At the end of the First World War, when Britain, America, and other countries abandoned the pure gold standard, and there was a period of the dirty standard followed by Roosevelt’s confiscation of gold, then ultimately the closing of the gold window in 1971 and gold's last formal link to the money system—gold’s purchasing value was within 1% of what it had been in 1560. During that long period, the maximum loss you would have endured, buying at the peak in 1620 and selling at the low in 1800, would have been less than 50%. That is a lot, of course, but vastly superior to the multi-century record of any fiat currency (in a much shorter time period). Had you continued to hold, you would have been back to par in 1900.
Gold has maintained its purchasing power during periods of high inflation and sharp deflation when the stock market or the currency collapses. Even during periods of chaos or war, gold holds its value. During these periods, people will look for alternate places for their cash.
Gold is thought of as an inflation hedge because it performed spectacularly during our last experience with high inflation in the U.S., the decade of the 1970s. That is a little artificial, of course, because gold started that decade at an artificial price, suppressed by the government, which outlawed private ownership. Undoubtedly, gold holds its purchasing power better than fiat currencies during inflation, but the truth is that many other assets do the same, for example, land, art, and the stock market.
[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="class: ox-babc6c93d1-h1, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: left"]Why Gold?[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #ffffff, align: left"]by Adrian Day[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: ox-babc6c93d1-fullwidth-image, bgcolor: #ffffff, align: center"]
gold-why.png
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
 
Having a mediterannean supper tonight. Eggplant dip, potato salad, some asparagus with salad dressing and a roasted bell pepper dish with fresh bread crumbs, anchovies, black olives, garlic, and feta cheese, etc...
 
Hey Bill,
Thanks for all of your fermented food ideas/advice over the years.
It really helps.
 
Looks like nightly salad, and an open face cheese melt with thinly shaved rib steak underneath.
Man I could knaw on a bone right now hungrier than a dog.
 
I guess not perfect....its John has a long mustache !!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom