What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Internet saga, installer is 3 weeks out. 20 miles away
No mail options
Next option installation company 1.5 hours away
Be there on Saturday
They gave me another month free internet service for the that call.
1 million customer base, and a infrastructure that can handle 300K.
They know that the rural has little options.
 
Jim,

Friends of ours retired to the country about 2 hours or so north of Montreal.

As much as it seems an idealistic lifestyle there are some downsides as I'm sure you know.

Unless you're prepared to pay an arm and a leg at the local convenience store it's a half hour round trip to the nearest supermarket, banking, dentist, etc....

3 wheeler with wagon to handle moving wood for the stove, the car takes a beating since they're on a gravel road, etc....

Since the entry road from the highway is owned by the property owners they have to pay to have it cleared of snow and regraded in the spring, municipal garbage service is available for a fee but they have to haul it to the main road and do it near pickup time so the critters don't cause mayhem with it.

I'm sure you can add to the list of issues also.
 
Jim,

Friends of ours retired to the country about 2 hours or so north of Montreal.

As much as it seems an idealistic lifestyle there are some downsides as I'm sure you know.

Unless you're prepared to pay an arm and a leg at the local convenience store it's a half hour round trip to the nearest supermarket, banking, dentist, etc....

3 wheeler with wagon to handle moving wood for the stove, the car takes a beating since they're on a gravel road, etc....

Since the entry road from the highway is owned by the property owners they have to pay to have it cleared of snow and regraded in the spring, municipal garbage service is available for a fee but they have to haul it to the main road and do it near pickup time so the critters don't cause mayhem with it.

I'm sure you can add to the list of issues also.

Sounds good to me.
Similar set up here except no wood burning , cutting, hauling.

A vehicle comes down the road here , I'm checking for why.
Makes for very little traffic. Which is great.

I been leaving the road to get pounded. And am less concerned with how often I plow snow.
Folks too ignorant to quit spinning thier wheels , and insist on pounding through wet potholes can just keep fighting it. I've a truck with good suspension.
Plus it slows folks down. Mostly. That or they pound on thier vehicles and pay for the privilege of thier choice.

2/10 of a mile to main road. Just enough of a buffer.
 
Hey Wannadig, you are a fisher right?

How do you catch your 'eyes? Do you usually troll or cast?

I catch most all of mine casting a crawler harness. Most folks can't hook up casting harnesses because walleye tend to follow the path of the bait after they strike. No tap, it feels just like weeds. When the lure slows, lift the rod tip a foot or two. If the weeds don't let go then set the hook. If you don't set it quick you will miss your chance.

I've gotten some bigger ones trolling flicker shad at night too.

We troll. Mostly pull plastic: bandits, p-10s, reef runners. Reef runners are my favorites. That?s what I caught my big fish on this year and last.
But we also use worm harnesses, dipsy , and spoons. Depends on the bite as you know. I hate using P-10s because it?s hard to get them to stick. But that?s a good thing too as I got hit in the back of my head last year. Not real fond of the dipsy, either. I have never casted. It?s on my list to try, but the mr swears by the trolling.
 
Trolling will catch fish, no doubt. But walleye tend to school up and if you can catch one on one cast the next fish might be standing in line to eat a bait. The last time I kept a limit it was three keepers in seven casts, all in the same 100sq/ft, 15' deep patch of flat lake bottom. Talk about some fast action!
 
Trolling will catch fish, no doubt. But walleye tend to school up and if you can catch one on one cast the next fish might be standing in line to eat a bait. The last time I kept a limit it was three keepers in seven casts, all in the same 100sq/ft, 15' deep patch of flat lake bottom. Talk about some fast action!

We?re allowed 6 walleye over 15 inches each and 3 rods each. When we find a small school, we make a pass and circle back. A lot of times we just make a couple passes and we?re done. But we don?t need that much walleye, so for the past couple years we have just been derby and tournament fishing. So we?re only keeping the big ones. And even then our fish get donated to local food pantries or if we just have one or two we will find someone to give it to. This last derby we gave my fish to the bait shop owner where I weighed in. He was so happy! We don?t go every weekend like we used to.
 
Good afternoon everbody, Duck check out Ron seelhoff on the www. I fished with him for 20+ years. He was the all time money winner on the PWT when he passed 10 years ago. Over the years pulled ever lure there was made.
Rapala’s with Gamakatsu hooks. Any Normark lure, always changed hooks to Gamakatsu.
 
The fish you are keeping- any big males?

The gene for size is on the male walleye's chromosome. I try relase big males but they are usually hard to sex until you cut them open.

The chain of four lakes that I fish got surveyed about a decade ago, back before the DNR considered walleye "present" as opposed to "none", even though the DNR has been milking the spawn in the spring for the last 30 years at least. When they did the survey they found a ton of big bluegills, and about 40% of the gamefish were large mouth or smallmouth bass, about 40% walleye, and the rest northern pike and trouts. When they did the survey they clipped pectoral fins on the walleye, makes it easier to sort them during the spring milking, left fin for girls and right fin for males. Last clipped fish I saw was about three years ago, a 23" male. But I'm sure there is a clipped 10 year old 28" fish out there- someplace...

They are down there. The hard part is getting them up here. :laughing7:
 
Good afternoon everbody, Duck check out Ron seelhoff on the www. I fished with him for 20+ years. He was the all time money winner on the PWT when he passed 10 years ago. Over the years pulled ever lure there was made.
Rapala?s with Gamakatsu hooks. Any Normark lure, always changed hooks to Gamakatsu.

I've trolled at night more than I'll admit, and I've found that the #5 shad raps out fish the #5 flicker shad by a long shot. But, they both get out fished around here by a #4.5 flicker shad. I've trolled the fatter than a shad #7 flicker minnows quite a bit too, they seem to catch nothing.

I'd rather cast than troll. The best trolling is on moonless nights when it's all- "I hope I know where I am, I can see the lamp on the bridge", or "Oh $#!+, I can't see the lamp on the bridge!"
 
Walleye's ? LOL, our fish eat 'them' for Snacks :tongue3: 002.webp014.webp002.webp
 
Last edited:
Jim,

Friends of ours retired to the country about 2 hours or so north of Montreal.

As much as it seems an idealistic lifestyle there are some downsides as I'm sure you know.

Unless you're prepared to pay an arm and a leg at the local convenience store it's a half hour round trip to the nearest supermarket, banking, dentist, etc....

3 wheeler with wagon to handle moving wood for the stove, the car takes a beating since they're on a gravel road, etc....

Since the entry road from the highway is owned by the property owners they have to pay to have it cleared of snow and regraded in the spring, municipal garbage service is available for a fee but they have to haul it to the main road and do it near pickup time so the critters don't cause mayhem with it.

I'm sure you can add to the list of issues also.

It's 1.5hrs round trip for grub and most things.
Road is the first to be plowed in the winter.
Township maintains it to the Government controlled dam and park.
They put a new topping on the road every 2-3 yrs. Drawback the road is getting too high and floods the yard.
Last summer we hauled in 15 dump truck loads of 1/2" crushed limestone.
Trespassers is a pain, as the internet, 600 meters off the highway.
1500 litre propane tank, back up generators.
If we see 4 cars in a day....busy.
Winter if it doesn't snow, it might be a week between them.
 
Hmmm... what about me foo.. ?

IF it hits me as well silly wabbit.

Sheesh... hard to find a loving caring crew these days.

:P

Just making ha,ha.
I know its a serious subject in your world
I didn't to slight that concern ARC.

Please don't walk me off the plank.....
 
Went to pick some wild black raspberries at a local park.....the skies opened up and I was drenched down to my skivies....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Managed about 2 cups of berries for my efforts and will be heading back tomorrow for more.
 
Internet saga, installer is 3 weeks out. 20 miles away
No mail options
Next option installation company 1.5 hours away
Be there on Saturday
They gave me another month free internet service for the that call.
1 million customer base, and a infrastructure that can handle 300K.
They know that the rural has little options.

I can tell you how to make a parabolic dish that will let you pick up McDonalds free WiFi upwards of 30 miles away if you put it up high enough.
 
Mike,

Glad we have a computer whiz on board....I happen to be technically challenged.....:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
 
Just making ha,ha.
I know its a serious subject in your world
I didn't to slight that concern ARC.

Please don't walk me off the plank.....

You want to do what to my plank ? ?? ??

Oh... you wanna walk on it.

:P
 
I don't like the way Tritons handle at WOT. They are notorious for chine walking.
I agree, that hull taper in the front is a bit squirrely...especially when sitting on that front seat....

I can tell you how to make a parabolic dish that will let you pick up McDonalds free WiFi upwards of 30 miles away if you put it up high enough.

Since it would line of sight...pretty damn high at 30m!
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom