THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

God gave us two ends. One to sit on, the other to think with....our success is determined by which one we use the most.

Heads we win, tails we lose.

--"Baby Dumpling of Dagwood&Blondie"

Jim,

We got another good rain overnight, hopefully, the same happened in your piece of paradise.

I finally tripped over a piece of gardening info which explains why everything seems to grow like crazy after a rainfall.

Apparently rain unlike regular tap water picks up nitrogen on the way down giving the plants a boost.

Hello and good morning friends.:hello:

Morning gold hog-I mean Bart :laughing7::hello:

Jim,

We got another good rain overnight, hopefully, the same happened in your piece of paradise.

I finally tripped over a piece of gardening info which explains why everything seems to grow like crazy after a rainfall.

Apparently rain unlike regular tap water picks up nitrogen on the way down giving the plants a boost.

Morning Bill

It 'looks like we got between .5 -.75 of an inch looking at the different rain gauge reports from the area.
It was to start at 10pm and it came in 8:30pm and I was in 7th gear running bales to the tarp area.
Kind of reminded me to fix the ruts in the field, bucking tractor seat!

Overall we managed to get most of it baled and under the 28'x48' tarp.
There was one row around the berry patch that got lefts it was getting too wet to bale.
So we'll have to rake it up once again and see if it's worth saving.
If not for feed it could be used for bedding even as its only one bale.

Mornin all.

130,000 plus without power after storms yesterday. And I'm not one of them.

Rain = good life Uncle. Show me a prosperous planet with flora and fauna without it...
Our supplemental watering is more of keeping things alive thing , vs actually flourishing during bountiful natural cycles..

Maybe today a green house tomato tastes good. But I'll bet there's still a difference.

Ear corn being cooked recently makes the house smell like humid summer nights and fertile soil.
Motorcycle years I used to get a good whiff driving through low spots by fields when damp vapors crept about.
About the same scent in the kitchen.

Add lightning for a boost of nitrogen , stuff gets all happy. Briefly.

Good morning all.

Top of the to you RC and Rook :hello:

Put another shear pin in the bush hog, and mowed the berry patch, took a loader bucket back for the turkeys and chickens to munch on.
They always enjoy the fresh clover it seems.
The turkey and chicken mingling isn't working out as planned yet, seems that the hens like to gang up too often for our liking.
It only takes one hen to go after a young turkey, then it's all out raptor mentality, feel bad when 6-8 hens are going after one docile turkey.

Top of the to you RC and Rook :hello:

Put another shear pin in the bush hog, and mowed the berry patch, took a loader bucket back for the turkeys and chickens to munch on.
They always enjoy the fresh clover it seems.
The turkey and chicken mingling isn't working out as planned yet, seems that the hens like to gang up too often for our liking.
It only takes one hen to go after a young turkey, then it's all out raptor mentality, feel bad when 6-8 hens are going after one docile turkey.

Ya , the social structure of an established flock can reject strangers for sure. New introductions seldom go well after a group is set up.
Maybe it is a survival key.
More docile breeds might tolerate new introductions. But are more vulnerable to predation too. And can be affected by new competition.

Renters down the roads flock didn't make it to winter last year.
This year they expanded chicken attempts with ducks , and at least one turkey so far.
They have not made it down to my place yet..

I always laughed when they said what a great system the big C was.....if that's the case the walls and fences should be there to keep people out not keep people in....

Exactly...in the far off image, with the truck and tower, a double row of fencing, but the top is turned inward towards E germany...to keep them in, not keep outsiders out...

Unfortunately, there are major movements in almost every City in the US to Socialize the Country. We see it now, so many jobs unfilled, because the Government giveaways..

Its sad what politicians have become simply to pander for votes...

Norways flag...

hulwhh8t8bd71.jpg

All Norway...all the time!

Wif,

So true about finding gold like my white gold engagement ring this past week...eyeball find but I'll still take it.

Probably 3 or 4 years since my last detecting gold find....so you did good young man!

Starting to use up more and more produce from the garden in our meals. Tonight is a veggie salad from the garden mostly yellow and green beans steamed and chopped up, a couple of pickling cukes from the garden, about a dozen cherry tomatoes cut in half, some green onion chopped as well as some parsley.

Added about 1/2 store bought pepper diced up and some home made salad dressing will sprinkle some feta cheese at serving time. For starch some cottage fries in the air fryer just a small amount of oil and some seasonings kind of a healthier version of french fries.

You just slice the potatoes about 1/2 inch thick rounds skins and all if you don't have an air fryer do them on a cookie sheet in the oven on parchment paper.

RC,

I watched a video recently which stated every great country/civilization failed mostly due to degraded farming land kind of where modern agriculture has taken our food system the last 50 years or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back