What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

Good morning everyone.

Random spiderweb on the top of the birdhouse. I am always amazed by these.

IMG_2910.webp
 
Good morning everyone.

Random spiderweb on the top of the birdhouse. I am always amazed by these.

View attachment 2212934
I have this huge water spider living in the water barrel in the hoop house. Not one mosquito larvae, so she's earning her keep.
Now she's got the huge white egg sac growing.
Seems I'm having problems with the bird eggs getting eaten, lost, so I'm counting on spiders and snakes thus year.🤣
 
:coffee2: Good morning everyone. Well it seems like our rain has switched off again. No rain for the last 5 days. Some areas are getting it but not here. One weather forecaster said the Sahara dust was to blame. Hopefully we'll get back on track soon. It's been crazy hot.View attachment 2212806
We are showing in the 90s all next week with the rain. Just imagine how hot it would be without rain
 

242's have a warm place in my heart. Possiblyu the first lantern I usede. Though it was placed by Dad.
Ice fishing began in second grade.
And nights Dad would set me in a smelly shanty on a lake then go drink in a group of guys on the ice.
Always enough bait minnows.
When the 5 gallon bucket was full we'd leave. Daylights happened at times though as it takes a few crappie/(specks here ) to fill a bucket. Fresh fish for breakfast before bed.
Best tasting fish! But then a night on the ice makes for an appetite.

I found that 242in Dads estate. I was looking for a 220 but was obviously mistaken.

Another single mantle. Which saves on mantle costs . Not that they were prohibitive when your piece was new. But we can argue it's more economical.
I don't know the light output in candle power or whatever between a single and double mantle. I still lean toward singles. And am slightly sure double doesn't mean double the output. Only because a writer said amount of pressure and orifice size are factors.

The knob holding your vent secure is solid topped. Helps i.d. a 242. There are like other models letter variations. 242 C ect.
I like them knobs though.

Dad's 242 has a wire loop crimped under it still? I cleaned his lantern ( gently but removed non stock silver paint from inside the frame) and think I put the wire loop back after.
Maybe the bail handle was too hot hung by it? Or a fitment thing. Or to secure it somehow while traveling ??
 
242's have a warm place in my heart. Possiblyu the first lantern I usede. Though it was placed by Dad.
Ice fishing began in second grade.
And nights Dad would set me in a smelly shanty on a lake then go drink in a group of guys on the ice.
Always enough bait minnows.
When the 5 gallon bucket was full we'd leave. Daylights happened at times though as it takes a few crappie/(specks here ) to fill a bucket. Fresh fish for breakfast before bed.
Best tasting fish! But then a night on the ice makes for an appetite.

I found that 242in Dads estate. I was looking for a 220 but was obviously mistaken.

Another single mantle. Which saves on mantle costs . Not that they were prohibitive when your piece was new. But we can argue it's more economical.
I don't know the light output in candle power or whatever between a single and double mantle. I still lean toward singles. And am slightly sure double doesn't mean double the output. Only because a writer said amount of pressure and orifice size are factors.

The knob holding your vent secure is solid topped. Helps i.d. a 242. There are like other models letter variations. 242 C ect.
I like them knobs though.

Dad's 242 has a wire loop crimped under it still? I cleaned his lantern ( gently but removed non stock silver paint from inside the frame) and think I put the wire loop back after.
Maybe the bail handle was too hot hung by it? Or a fitment thing. Or to secure it somehow while traveling ??
He wants $20 Canadian for the lantern.
Has a similar one but broken globe, has replacement somewhere 🤔
If you're inclined it could happen, and you can shine up the Made In Canada.
If you need anymore information on the piece let me know and I'll take a better 📸.
 
He wants $20 Canadian for the lantern.
Has a similar one but broken globe, has replacement somewhere 🤔
If you're inclined it could happen, and you can shine up the Made In Canada.
If you need anymore information on the piece let me know and I'll take a better 📸.

Oh; make me crazy!!!!

Shipping dang it. But maybe we should anyways. Not sure I could sleep if that globe was in the mail awaiting it's fate.

242 has a smaller fuel fill cap too i forgot to mention with the vent knob as quick standouts.
IF you notice funnels for liquid fuel lanterns there is a "step" on some for that reason. Some older ones just have a real small diameter pipe .

Here's the yippee yahoo on the 242 you pictured P.J..
It has the original "Sunrise" globe.
The white picture and lettering shows real well.
(Globes had/have varied sources but most replacements and newer ones show red lettering.)

We can make lye from wood ashes.
The cheaper old formula oven cleaners with lye (at least here in the U.S.) can clean up the Nickle finished lanterns some. Followed by aluminum or other polish carefully tested and not overly aggressively used.
I have a greenish one to keep working on that the first go around took a lot of crud off.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom