What's new

THE Random Chat Thread - AKA "The RCT" - No shirt or shoes required - Open 24 / 7

We have lifted pickups EVERYWHERE !!! A lot of stock trucks can run 35" tires. We also have a bunch of souped up cummins diesels and people are making there own Bio diesel at a cost of about a buck fifty. It is hard to believe the power you can get out of those big 6 engines and still get decent mileage.
Yeah, I got 7 litres per 100ks from my Xtrail. There's a crazy steep hill in an area we used to go visit friends, a back road going through some ranges. I used to love having cruise control set at 100kph, be in third gear and be only doing 50kph when I was at the base, id hit cruise and let it do its thing, it seriously powered up it and was doing 100 by the half way mark. Fun to drive.
My Kia gets great economy. 50 litre tank gives me over 700ks driving, close to 800. Wish it was that temperature today though.
IMG_20251117_120928782_HDR (1).webp
 
Well I think I had enough sledgehammer duty today. What a frigging hard job getting the brass cap off.
Did you try turning it the other direction? Iv had, I admit, difficulty getting lids off of things but I have never reverted to using a sledgehammer!
 
Temperature is 41c at the moment, the powers gone out and the towns fire sirens have gone off. Its a fire safe town so we're ok but the surrounding areas the long grass is all dead and dry and there's 25kph wind. Firefighters are gonna be doing it tough that's for sure. This is our district right now. Hope the Charlton fire doesn't spread bad as its headed for Wedderburn by reports.
Screenshot_20251218-160938.DuckDuckGo.webp
 
Good morning all. Unusually warm here at the moment -- mid 50's and the sun isn't even up yet. They're predicting 70 degrees on Christmas.
 
Did you try turning it the other direction? Iv had, I admit, difficulty getting lids off of things but I have never reverted to using a sledgehammer!
I tried to get it to slide off and then when I started to turn it then it started to release.
It was just pressed on, and not treaded as I thought.
20 ton bottle jack helped, 18" pipe wrench, 6' square tube were needed.
I think it was just the build up of rust between the hard brass and the steel.
It could have been just an old grease buildup turned into old hard tar after 62 yrs of being out in the elements, anything is possible.
All I want for Christmas is a plasma cutter.:laughing7:
 
Temperature is 41c at the moment, the powers gone out and the towns fire sirens have gone off. Its a fire safe town so we're ok but the surrounding areas the long grass is all dead and dry and there's 25kph wind. Firefighters are gonna be doing it tough that's for sure. This is our district right now. Hope the Charlton fire doesn't spread bad as its headed for Wedderburn by reports.
View attachment 2237645
What's a fire safe town?

We've had a few towns/villages/ even parts of cities go up in flames because of forest fires. One hardly had any trees around it, just sage brush like desert conditions "dry grass".

The 2021 Lytton wildfire, fueled by an unprecedented "heat dome" and record temperatures of 49.6°C,
destroyed approximately 90% of the village within minutes.

I don't trust anyone saying "Safe" anything while a fire is raging out of control.

To put some perceptive on this is a fire that started in 1998. They evacuated my father that was living 12-15 KM away from the fire. They moved 7000 residents from the area to the backside of this fire.

The fire was moving at a rate of 100 meters a minute.
Over 1,000 forestry firefighters and 1,400 members of the Canadian Armed Forces (Operation PEREGRINE)

Stay safe Chilly
Question: Has there been any reported gold found in the fire zone before?
Could be an hot spot to go detecting.
 
What's a fire safe town?

We've had a few towns/villages/ even parts of cities go up in flames because of forest fires. One hardly had any trees around it, just sage brush like desert conditions "dry grass".

The 2021 Lytton wildfire, fueled by an unprecedented "heat dome" and record temperatures of 49.6°C,
destroyed approximately 90% of the village within minutes.

I don't trust anyone saying "Safe" anything while a fire is raging out of control.

To put some perceptive on this is a fire that started in 1998. They evacuated my father that was living 12-15 KM away from the fire. They moved 7000 residents from the area to the backside of this fire.

The fire was moving at a rate of 100 meters a minute.
Over 1,000 forestry firefighters and 1,400 members of the Canadian Armed Forces (Operation PEREGRINE)

Stay safe Chilly
Question: Has there been any reported gold found in the fire zone before?
Could be an hot spot to go detecting.
Safe as in id have no fear in the area we are in like I would have in the last two places I lived. My car insurance dropped significantly when we moved here because its considered very low risk. The term safe is relative. There's always going to be exceptions and extreme situations where everything goes pear shaped.
Gold. Where it burnt no, its mostly farm land though Wedderburn to the east was very rich. Been watching the site and they have it under control now thankfully.
I don't think ill be getting much detecting in before my next surgery. Gonna try Monday and see how I go. Still feels tight on my neck where the scar is. Feels like a cord around my neck when I bend right over to pick something up. In a few weeks time they'll be giving me another one. My misses said I should ask them to put a couple of bolts in. Thoughtful thing she is. 🥰
But they reckon low 20s monday and im hanging out badly to get in the bush so im gonna try.
All the areas below the red line there's plenty of gold areas. All above nothing.

Screenshot_20251218-160938.DuckDuckGo (2).webp
 
Last edited:
I don't think ill be getting much detecting in before my next surgery. Gonna try Monday and see how I go. Still feels tight on my neck where the scar is. Feels like a cord around my neck when I bend right over to pick something up. In a few weeks time they'll be giving me another one. My misses said I should ask them to put a couple of bolts in. Thoughtful thing she is. 🥰
But they reckon low 20s monday and im hanging out badly to get in the bush so im gonna try.

"Feels like a cord around my neck when I bend right over to pick something up."

You need to learn to squat more.

"My misses said I should ask them to put a couple of bolts in. Thoughtful thing she is. 🥰"

The Herman Chilli experiment coming to a theatre near you.

What's with the weather? Last week you were saying frost, this week you're frying eggs. Really a light switch from winter-summer, and it seems to have missed the spring.
 
And a soggy good morning to Y'all....they say it's not gonna rain tomorrow,
but I'll believe it when I see it.

Screenshot 2025-12-18 054721.webp
 
Mornin all.
Stuff refroze last night after breaking freezing a little while yesterday.
Raining lightly now.
Should refreeze again tomorrow in time for a distant veterinarian appointment.
 
Fires downed power transmission for our area and not expected to be back on until late Friday night. Mid 40s no power 😰
Filled the freezer just 2 days ago.
That guy with the underground houses there is looking pretty smart right about now.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom