What's new

The Waltz Map

1847 with heart 3 on horse with knife, you can see if your eyes are sharp
Hello AZ John,
You have some interesting finds, that look to be associated with the Stone Maps. 👍

I am not wanted to throw a wet blanket on your efforts, but before it all gets buried in some thread, (one not about the stone maps), you might consider posting in a “stone Maps” thread, or start a thread yourself, and that way, folk wanting to find your posts later, may have more success. 🤓👍

The Waltz Map continues to be a huge, mostly unknown LDM clue. Maybe the biggest clue there is.

It’s hard to believe I’m saying this, but it looks to quite possibly be a copy of the actual parchment map that was stolen/lifted from Julia Thomas, while she was staying out at Bark’s place. Other documents lifted at same time were some citizenship papers of Waltz.

I’m sure that the original parchment is in a private collection somewhere. 🤷🏼‍♂️😉

Sincerely,
Idahodutch
 
Howdy Russ,

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but Milton Rose said a certain family in Phoenix received whatever map there was (the one Jim Bark said was lifted from Julia).

I don't want to associate their name on the internet in a lost mine forum...but remember "Birthday Cake Castle"? The Stockyards Steakhouse? That family.

(Edit: We always called it Birthday Cake Castle, but a lot of people called it Wedding Cake Castle. Also, they had nothing to do with "lifting" the map, I'd have to look but I believe Rose said they came by it later)
 
Last edited:
I went searching for the source of the above, found it in Rose's manuscript "Rainbow's End".
Rainbow's End excerpt.webp
 
Jim,
Thank you for digging that info up. 😁👍

You’re “the man” 😎
No thanks necessary amigo...hope all is well with you and yours.

It's always a good idea to treat anything Rose said with a skeptical eye. He was remarkably well-informed, I guess hanging around the Supes and other Dutch Hunters for 60 or so years will do that. He knew just about everyone that ever set foot into those mountains. His Dad owned a newspaper in Mesa, can't remember which one off the top of my head. He contributed heavily to Mitchell's "Lost Mines of the Great Southwest", mostly the Arizona lost treasure stories in that book. Milton also served during WW2 and retired as a Colonel in the Army Reserves. Interesting guy.

The problem with Rose is he was also a treasure hunter...so anything he thought was important, he would write about, but change up certain info so as to throw off other treasure hunters. I guess he didn't see much sense in giving away possible critical info that he'd spent years tracking down. :wink:

I would put the existence of a map drawn by Jacob Waltz, and it's owner, as something Rose would've considered "critical" information. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he changed the name of the guy who supposedly bought it from Old Pete. Hard to say, but I wouldn't bet on it being accurate ;D
 
No thanks necessary amigo...hope all is well with you and yours.

It's always a good idea to treat anything Rose said with a skeptical eye. He was remarkably well-informed, I guess hanging around the Supes and other Dutch Hunters for 60 or so years will do that. He knew just about everyone that ever set foot into those mountains. His Dad owned a newspaper in Mesa, can't remember which one off the top of my head. He contributed heavily to Mitchell's "Lost Mines of the Great Southwest", mostly the Arizona lost treasure stories in that book. Milton also served during WW2 and retired as a Colonel in the Army Reserves. Interesting guy.

The problem with Rose is he was also a treasure hunter...so anything he thought was important, he would write about, but change up certain info so as to throw off other treasure hunters. I guess he didn't see much sense in giving away possible critical info that he'd spent years tracking down. :wink:

I would put the existence of a map drawn by Jacob Waltz, and it's owner, as something Rose would've considered "critical" information. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he changed the name of the guy who supposedly bought it from Old Pete. Hard to say, but I wouldn't bet on it being accurate ;D
It's critical to be skeptical of all unresolved "treasure related" material you run across. Step 1: consider how and why the material found its way to you.
 
No thanks necessary amigo...hope all is well with you and yours.

It's always a good idea to treat anything Rose said with a skeptical eye. He was remarkably well-informed, I guess hanging around the Supes and other Dutch Hunters for 60 or so years will do that. He knew just about everyone that ever set foot into those mountains. His Dad owned a newspaper in Mesa, can't remember which one off the top of my head. He contributed heavily to Mitchell's "Lost Mines of the Great Southwest", mostly the Arizona lost treasure stories in that book. Milton also served during WW2 and retired as a Colonel in the Army Reserves. Interesting guy.

The problem with Rose is he was also a treasure hunter...so anything he thought was important, he would write about, but change up certain info so as to throw off other treasure hunters. I guess he didn't see much sense in giving away possible critical info that he'd spent years tracking down. :wink:

I would put the existence of a map drawn by Jacob Waltz, and it's owner, as something Rose would've considered "critical" information. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he changed the name of the guy who supposedly bought it from Old Pete. Hard to say, but I wouldn't bet on it being accurate ;D
Thanks Jim,
We have been getting weird weather, but we still like living in Idaho. 😁👍

A little far from the supers, but I might hurt myself if I was closer. 😉

I don’t plan to try to track down the original map. Sure is surprising that where ever it went, it stayed out of the light.

I don't know when the copy we have today showed up, or if it is the same as the original.

I suspect sometime after the wilderness act went into place. Maybe when computers and on-line stuff started. 🤷🏼‍♂️

But what I do know, is that the region shown on the map, has things identified, that when boots to the ground were employed, they were made by man. Time frame of the map things put them, well lichen was all over the top of those things, prior to their recent disturbance… so certainly over 100 years and probably more.

The origin mine date would have been just prior to Waltz settling in Phoenix, in 1868.

That’s over 150 years ago, that Waltz was covering his mine.

The one time he said he went back, he said nothing had been disturbed. That was approximately the winter of 1882/83
(I wasn’t there, so I can’t say 100% 🤓)

As far as the map, a big question remains …
is the copy we have, the same as the original?

It’s a good question. 🤷🏼‍♂️ and I don’t know.

Do I think this is the place of Waltz’ mine? Absolutely, but my health is not cooperating.

I have seen photos from the last trip. There was more work done on uncovering Waltz’ mine.

The tunnel opening to his mine was enlarged all around, to make a shelf about 5’ below the opening. Cut logs were stacked, cross cross layers, onto the shelf. The last foot or so was filled with rocks and dirt.
Then Waltz spent the winter covering the whole thing. A giant pile of loose rocks.

The amount of work needed, is not a small amount. I got there too late in life, to get it myself. My boys want instant gratification, and lost interest in the work part. They just want the gold part. 😵‍💫, kids nowadays. 😁😂😂

So I am once again sharing my search. Same deal as before.
If anybody gets into “his mine” I get a chunk of ore. 😁👍
That’s the deal.
I’m not posting photos on line.

As far as clues, they are all there.

One more interesting tidbit. I think I know why Holmes never found the place.

There is evidence that Dick Holmes was never at Waltz’ deathbed.

The story is he heard the directions to the mine the next day, from one of the 2 people that were with Waltz, was hen he was dying.
Holmes did not come into Phoenix until Monday morning. Waltz died Sunday evening.

All the stuff NOT part of the directions, from the manuscript, was most likely false and or twisted info. None of it locates the mine….. smokescreen perhaps 🤷🏼‍♂️.

That’s what the evidence I saw revealed about Dick Holmes, and Waltz’ deathbed.

Oh, and supposedly the name of the gentleman that told Holmes about the mine, was Gideon Roberds … with a “d” not a “t”

Gideon’s sister lived in Phoenix, just across the alley from Julia Thomas.

It was Gideon and his sister that Julia had watch Waltz, that Sunday evening.
The next day, Gideon was cleaning up the ore from under Waltz’ death bed, and Holmes was helping.

Gideon was old like Waltz, and in no shape to take Julia into the mountains. It is thought that this was why Holmes was helping Gideon with the ore, that he (Holmes) would do it 😳🙁😬 🤷🏼‍♂️ (I wasn’t there 🤷🏼‍♂️)

Stuff happened, but not the way we all heard it.
Half truths is what we got.
It’s ok though. We don’t need every little detail worked out, we just need to reach “his mine”.

If any of you go to look, go with my blessings 👍. It is very treacherous to traverse within the ravine, and to go up top (for viewing clues 😁)
If you die, don’t come after me 😂👍

Also, the giant rock pile is no joke. A broken leg waiting to happen, if not careful.

Jim, thanks again for sharing. 👍😁

- Idahodutch
 
Last edited:
Thanks Jim,
We have been getting weird weather, but we still like living in Idaho. 😁👍

A little far from the supers, but I might hurt myself if I was closer. 😉

I don’t plan to try to track down the original map. Sure is surprising that where ever it went, it stayed out of the light.

I don't know when the copy we have today showed up, of if it is the same as the original.

I suspect sometime after the wilderness act went into place. Maybe when computers and on-line stuff started. 🤷🏼‍♂️

But what I do know, is that the region shown on the map, has things identified, that when boots to the ground were employed, they were made by man. Time frame of the map things put them, well lichen was all over the top of those things, prior to their recent disturbance… so certainly over 100 years and probably more.

The origin mine date would have been just prior to Waltz settling in Phoenix, in 1868.

That’s over 150 years ago, that Waltz was covering his mine.

The one time he said he went back, he said nothing had been disturbed. That was approximately the winter of 1883/84.
(I wasn’t there, so I can’t say 100% 🤓)

As far as the map, a big question remains …
is the copy we have, the same as the original?

It’s a good question. 🤷🏼‍♂️ and I don’t know.

Do I think this is the place of Waltz’ mine? Absolutely, but my health is not cooperating.

I have seen photos from the last trip. There was more work done on uncovering Waltz’ mine.

The tunnel opening to his mine was enlarged all around, to make a shelf about 5’ below the opening. Cut logs were stacked, cross cross layers, onto the shelf. The last foot or so was filled with rocks and dirt.
Then Waltz spent the winter covering the whole thing. A giant pile of loose rocks.

The amount of work needed, is not a small amount. I got there too late in life, to get it myself. My boys want instant gratification, and lost interest in the work part. They just want the gold part. 😵‍💫, kids nowadays. 😁😂😂

So I am once again sharing my search. Same deal as before.
If anybody gets into “his mine” I get a chunk of ore. 😁👍
That’s the deal.
I’m not posting photos on line.

As far as clues, they are all there.

One more interesting tidbit. I think I know why Holmes never found the place.

There is evidence that Dick Holmes was never at Waltz’ deathbed.

The story is he heard the directions to the mine the next day, from one of the 2 people that were with Waltz, was hen he was dying.
Holmes did not come into Phoenix until Monday morning. Waltz died Sunday evening.

All the stuff NOT part of the directions, from the manuscript, was most likely false and or twisted info. None of it locates the mine….. smokescreen perhaps 🤷🏼‍♂️.

That’s what the evidence I saw revealed about Dick Holmes, and Waltz’ deathbed.

Oh, and supposedly the name of the gentleman that told Holmes about the mine, was Gideon Roberds … with a “d” not a “t”

Gideon’s sister lived in Phoenix, just across the alley from Julia Thomas.

It was Gideon and his sister that Julia had watch Waltz, that Sunday evening.
The next day, Gideon was cleaning up the ore from under Waltz’ death bed, and Holmes was helping.

Gideon was old like Waltz, and in no shape to take Julia into the mountains. It is thought that this was why Holmes was helping Gideon with the ore, that he (Holmes) would do it 😳🙁😬 🤷🏼‍♂️ (I wasn’t there 🤷🏼‍♂️)

Stuff happened, but not the way we all heard it.
Half truths is what we got.
It’s ok though. We don’t need every little detail worked out, we just need to reach “his mine”.

If any of you go to look, go with my blessings 👍. It is very treacherous to traverse within the ravine, and to go up top (for viewing clues 😁)
If you die, don’t come after me 😂👍

Also, the giant rock pile is no joke. A broken leg waiting to happen, if not careful.

Jim, thanks again for sharing. 👍😁

- Idahodutch
No thanks necessary amigo...hope all is well with you and yours.

It's always a good idea to treat anything Rose said with a skeptical eye. He was remarkably well-informed, I guess hanging around the Supes and other Dutch Hunters for 60 or so years will do that. He knew just about everyone that ever set foot into those mountains. His Dad owned a newspaper in Mesa, can't remember which one off the top of my head. He contributed heavily to Mitchell's "Lost Mines of the Great Southwest", mostly the Arizona lost treasure stories in that book. Milton also served during WW2 and retired as a Colonel in the Army Reserves. Interesting guy.

The problem with Rose is he was also a treasure hunter...so anything he thought was important, he would write about, but change up certain info so as to throw off other treasure hunters. I guess he didn't see much sense in giving away possible critical info that he'd spent years tracking down. :wink:

I would put the existence of a map drawn by Jacob Waltz, and it's owner, as something Rose would've considered "critical" information. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he changed the name of the guy who supposedly bought it from Old Pete. Hard to say, but I wouldn't bet on it being accurate ;D
Jim,

Just 8 feet left of loose boulders and dirt - before hitting the Logs that IdahoDutch mentioned. So close...

If all goes well this year, I will make my way in there again, continue the dig and at least see if those logs are in fact there. The scans were 100% positive for the presence of Gold in that exact spot, so it's not a question of IF something is there, the question is, "How much is there?".
-SpartanOC
 
I don’t plan to try to track down the original map. Sure is surprising that where ever it went, it stayed out of the light.

I don't know when the copy we have today showed up, or if it is the same as the original.

I suspect sometime after the wilderness act went into place. Maybe when computers and on-line stuff started. 🤷🏼‍♂️
I didn't think you would track down the map...not at this late stage of your search. It's either THE map, or bust.
I don't think Rose's story makes much sense, as the person he said got the map from Old Pete seems to have been too young. But who knows. Just reporting what Rose said and that I think Rose may have been hiding something, and the guy he said bought the map Waltz made for Julia may be a mis-direction.

I first saw the "Waltz Map" in Tom K.'s booklet of maps. I don't know when he first saw it or when it cropped up. This is the one we see today and it appears to have been re-drawn and re-lettered by Tom. The question is, from what...where did he get the original? Greg Davis may know more about the origins of this map.
Gideon’s sister lived in Phoenix, just across the alley from Julia Thomas.
Indeed! Her name was Nancy C. Milton, a widow with children. Gideon would stay at her house when he was in Phoenix. Because his family was in CO and his AZ homestead ( A big one, 640 acres) was all the way out by where the Palo Verde Power Plant is now. Gideon actually owned Nancy's house. Did you ever work on Palo Verde? My Dad did, and I think Jim Hatt did too. APS.
Oh, and supposedly the name of the gentleman that told Holmes about the mine, was Gideon Roberds … with a “d” not a “t”
Not supposedly. You just stated a fact, my friend ;)
The whole "Roberts with a T" story is fun, but untrue. Gideon Roberds was not related to the pioneer Roberts family of Phoenix. Ida Holmes was once married to one of those pioneer Robertses, before she married Dick Holmes Jr., and Brownie seemed to think his mother Ida was related by marriage to Gideon.
It just wasn't true. At all. Gideon was a Roberds, not a Roberts. Both families genealogies have been traced and verified. There never was a Gideon O. Roberts, he is a creation. And it was most likely the REAL Gideon O. Roberds, and his sister, that Julia asked to sit with Waltz.
It was Gideon and his sister that Julia had watch Waltz, that Sunday evening.
I believe you are right. Dick Holmes, at the time, lived 2 or more miles away from Julia's residence.
Stuff happened, but not the way we all heard it.
Half truths is what we got.
It’s ok though. We don’t need every little detail worked out, we just need to reach “his mine”.
Yep.

Nice post, lots of truth in there.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Jim,
We have been getting weird weather, but we still like living in Idaho. 😁👍

A little far from the supers, but I might hurt myself if I was closer. 😉

I don’t plan to try to track down the original map. Sure is surprising that where ever it went, it stayed out of the light.

I don't know when the copy we have today showed up, or if it is the same as the original.

I suspect sometime after the wilderness act went into place. Maybe when computers and on-line stuff started. 🤷🏼‍♂️

But what I do know, is that the region shown on the map, has things identified, that when boots to the ground were employed, they were made by man. Time frame of the map things put them, well lichen was all over the top of those things, prior to their recent disturbance… so certainly over 100 years and probably more.

The origin mine date would have been just prior to Waltz settling in Phoenix, in 1868.

That’s over 150 years ago, that Waltz was covering his mine.

The one time he said he went back, he said nothing had been disturbed. That was approximately the winter of 1882/83
(I wasn’t there, so I can’t say 100% 🤓)

As far as the map, a big question remains …
is the copy we have, the same as the original?

It’s a good question. 🤷🏼‍♂️ and I don’t know.

Do I think this is the place of Waltz’ mine? Absolutely, but my health is not cooperating.

I have seen photos from the last trip. There was more work done on uncovering Waltz’ mine.

The tunnel opening to his mine was enlarged all around, to make a shelf about 5’ below the opening. Cut logs were stacked, cross cross layers, onto the shelf. The last foot or so was filled with rocks and dirt.
Then Waltz spent the winter covering the whole thing. A giant pile of loose rocks.

The amount of work needed, is not a small amount. I got there too late in life, to get it myself. My boys want instant gratification, and lost interest in the work part. They just want the gold part. 😵‍💫, kids nowadays. 😁😂😂

So I am once again sharing my search. Same deal as before.
If anybody gets into “his mine” I get a chunk of ore. 😁👍
That’s the deal.
I’m not posting photos on line.

As far as clues, they are all there.

One more interesting tidbit. I think I know why Holmes never found the place.

There is evidence that Dick Holmes was never at Waltz’ deathbed.

The story is he heard the directions to the mine the next day, from one of the 2 people that were with Waltz, was hen he was dying.
Holmes did not come into Phoenix until Monday morning. Waltz died Sunday evening.

All the stuff NOT part of the directions, from the manuscript, was most likely false and or twisted info. None of it locates the mine….. smokescreen perhaps 🤷🏼‍♂️.

That’s what the evidence I saw revealed about Dick Holmes, and Waltz’ deathbed.

Oh, and supposedly the name of the gentleman that told Holmes about the mine, was Gideon Roberds … with a “d” not a “t”

Gideon’s sister lived in Phoenix, just across the alley from Julia Thomas.

It was Gideon and his sister that Julia had watch Waltz, that Sunday evening.
The next day, Gideon was cleaning up the ore from under Waltz’ death bed, and Holmes was helping.

Gideon was old like Waltz, and in no shape to take Julia into the mountains. It is thought that this was why Holmes was helping Gideon with the ore, that he (Holmes) would do it 😳🙁😬 🤷🏼‍♂️ (I wasn’t there 🤷🏼‍♂️)

Stuff happened, but not the way we all heard it.
Half truths is what we got.
It’s ok though. We don’t need every little detail worked out, we just need to reach “his mine”.

If any of you go to look, go with my blessings 👍. It is very treacherous to traverse within the ravine, and to go up top (for viewing clues 😁)
If you die, don’t come after me 😂👍

Also, the giant rock pile is no joke. A broken leg waiting to happen, if not careful.

Jim, thanks again for sharing. 👍😁

- Idahodutch
I made a correction to the post above.
I had originally wrote that waltz had returned to the LDM in winter of 1883/84, but that’s incorrect. The math from 1868 + 14 years = 1882.
So it would have been the winter of 1882/83 that waltz was at the LDM site. (Presumably making his map).

So even though it looks like Waltz was only at the LDM twice…. each time was for over a winter, or there about. Point is, he most likely had to make several supply trips back and forth, during those 2 time periods at the LDM.

Several trips back and forth, getting supplies replenished during both of those 2 periods at the LDM site. That would certainly lend enough time for Waltz to make true, statements like “I always took a different route, in case I was followed.”

In my mind, it always seemed to me that Waltz had went to his mine a lot, not twice. Now realizing that those 2 time were full of back and forth trips. Not mining, but covering up a mine site, and then the other trip, making the map.

It really does fit.

The other correction i need to address, is about the last cache. There were (3) caches, but only one was remaining at “his mine”.

I was remembering wrong, thinking it was on top of “his mine”, but later when re-reading the article by Bicknell, Julia is recorded as saying that the big cache was left by Waltz, just inside of “his mine”.

That is good information to know, for considering depths of where things might be seen, or found. 😉

Sincerely, Idahodutch
 
…….. The scans were 100% positive for the presence of Gold in that exact spot, so it's not a question of IF something is there, the question is, "How much is there?".
-SpartanOC
SpartanOC,
Since the whole place was covered in lichen, upon arrival, and Waltz saying nothing was disturbed from time he buried everything, til 14 years later. (The last time he said he was there.)
And that Even the markers on top of the giant rock pile, were covered in lichen.
Well ….
In all honesty, I’d say the amount of gold still there, has not changed since 1868, when it was sealed up…… so 20 millionaires at least, and that’s when $20 gold coins cost only $20, instead of well over $4,000 like today. And that is only what was showing.

So not a 24” x 3” vein, but a much larger exposed section of incredibly rich gold ore…

Waltz said unlike the upper mine with the white quartz, and gold that fell out as the ore was broken apart, that the gold ore from “his mine” (the one he buried), is “more gold than quartz”.

Here is an example:
Say you went in and got 2 kilos of gold ( 2 x 2.2 pounds =4.4 pounds

A kilo has 32.15 ounces Troy. And (2) of them = 64.3 oz. And then multiply by over $4000= approximately 1/4 million today.

Less than 20 pounds tucked into a backpack = probably over a million today.

Once the mine is open, it’s only a day trip to go get some. Wouldn’t need a tent or sleeping gear. Just a pack with some food and water, maybe some gloves, a rock hammer and a couple chisels. Maybe a pouch to put the gold in, so it doesn’t spill around inside the backpack. Maybe a couple lights to clip onto a hat. 😉

Yup, once it’s opened up, it might not be veey long before there is a big trail leading right to the mine opening. Then only a matter of time before “big brother takes control. 😩🤓

Could get very eventful, if the mine is opened up.
I’d like to be far away when that happens.

I’ve had a good time chasing clues, on and off since the 1960’s, starting as a kid. 😁👍

Besides, I’m doing ok, got food to eat, and hot showers, nice wife, no bed bugs 🤓

I’m of the mindset now, that the LDM, is for those that can still hike around without having their body fall apart. 😁😉

May you have good fortune in the endeavors, to you and/or whoever else partakes in the endeavor.

Idahodutch
 
Last edited:
SpartanOC,
Since the whole place was covered in lichen, upon arrival, and Waltz saying nothing was disturbed from time he buried everything, til 14 years later. (The last time he said he was there.)
And that Even the markers on top of the giant rock pile, were covered in lichen.
Well ….
In all honesty, I’d say the amount of gold still there, has not changed since 1868, when it was sealed up…… so 20 millionaires at least, and that’s when $20 gold coins cost only $20, instead of well over $4,000 like today. And that is only what was showing.

So not a 24” x 3” vein, but a much larger exposed section of incredibly rich gold ore…

Waltz said unlike the upper mine with the white quartz, and gold that fell out as the ore was broken apart, that the gold ore from “his mine” (the one he buried), is “more gold than quartz”.

Here is an example:
Say you went in and got 2 kilos of gold ( 2 x 2.2 pounds =4.4 pounds

A kilo has 32.15 ounces Troy. And (2) of them = 64.3 oz. And then multiply by over $4000= approximately 1/4 million today.

Less than 20 pounds tucked into a backpack = probably over a million today.

Once the mine is open, it’s only a day trip to go get some. Wouldn’t need a tent or sleeping gear. Just a pack with some food and water, maybe some gloves, a rock hammer and a couple chisels. Maybe a pouch to put the gold in, so it doesn’t spill around inside the backpack. Maybe a couple lights to clip onto a hat. 😉

Yup, once it’s opened up, it might not be veey long before there is a big trail leading right to the mine opening. Then only a matter of time before “big brother takes control. 😩🤓

Could get very eventful, if the mine is opened up.
I’d like to be far away when that happens.

I’ve had a good time chasing clues, on and off since the 1960’s, starting as a kid. 😁👍

Besides, I’m doing ok, got food to eat, and hot showers, nice wife, no bed bugs 🤓

I’m of the mindset now, that the LDM, is for those that can still hike around without having their body fall apart. 😁😉

May you have good fortune in the endeavors, to you and/or whoever else partakes in the endeavor.

Idahodutch

Lichenometry uses the growth rates of lichens, typically between 0.3 to 0.9 millimeters per year, to estimate the age of exposed rock surfaces, particularly for surfaces less than 500 years old.

Like glacial geology time scales. Please try again.
 
Lichenometry uses the growth rates of lichens, typically between 0.3 to 0.9 millimeters per year, to estimate the age of exposed rock surfaces, particularly for surfaces less than 500 years old.

Like glacial geology time scales. Please try again.
Hello CN,
It almost sounds like you’re bored. 😁I’m not into glacial geology, the thread isn’t about it, but you sound as if you want to have a discussion about it….. or perhaps just tell someone about it. 🥴

We’re only talking about a time period of approximately 150 years or so, just since Waltz buried his mine, in case you missed that tidbit. 🤓
You have a nice one. 👍

SpartonOC,
The thick vein of gold (18” x 3”, or 24” x 3” …) I forget exact size in the story, but it was associated with the Peralta mine, the one the Mexicans were working when Waltz and his partner first arrived.

It is possible that there was mining activity in that upper mine (Peralta mine) after Waltz buried up his mine. There is another story about a guy and his little boy supposedly making a trip (s) to the upper mine, and described seeing Waltz there. Around the time Waltz was there 14 years after burying up his mine.

The story is maybe more dramatic than what happened, but who knows. 🤓
Perhaps someone knows the story and can share. The story also had the boy playing around a big rock that looked like the Sphinx from Egypt.

Anyway, I don’t know how much of that vein might still exist, or if there is any signs of the mine up there. It looks like it got covered up at some point, when looking through the photos.

Idahodutch
 
Hello CN,
It almost sounds like you’re bored. 😁I’m not into glacial geology, the thread isn’t about it, but you sound as if you want to have a discussion about it….. or perhaps just tell someone about it. 🥴

We’re only talking about a time period of approximately 150 years or so, just since Waltz buried his mine, in case you missed that tidbit. 🤓
You have a nice one. 👍

SpartonOC,
The thick vein of gold (18” x 3”, or 24” x 3” …) I forget exact size in the story, but it was associated with the Peralta mine, the one the Mexicans were working when Waltz and his partner first arrived.

It is possible that there was mining activity in that upper mine (Peralta mine) after Waltz buried up his mine. There is another story about a guy and his little boy supposedly making a trip (s) to the upper mine, and described seeing Waltz there. Around the time Waltz was there 14 years after burying up his mine.

The story is maybe more dramatic than what happened, but who knows. 🤓
Perhaps someone knows the story and can share. The story also had the boy playing around a big rock that looked like the Sphinx from Egypt.

Anyway, I don’t know how much of that vein might still exist, or if there is any signs of the mine up there. It looks like it got covered up at some point, when looking through the photos.

Idahodutch
Pic of The sphinx of lore. There are 2 mines above it not easy to get to.
 

Attachments

  • sphynx.webp
    sphynx.webp
    70.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
John Reed was his name....his story is in Glover's book.... Reed's only clue was "There was a Sphynx that overhangs and dominates the mine area"...my question is ....which Sphynx was he talking about.....The Lion or the Thoth?.....In the area I am looking at...there was a tall spire in a deep canyon that has since strangely been brought down....I will not go further into the matter except to say there was a Thoth Sphynx darkened outline at the very top...and very visible....in this now destroyed monument...that fit perfectly into Reed's clue...I saw it...before the tragedy of its fall...about 2 years later....from What or Whom...I do not know
 

Attachments

  • Thoth Sphynx.webp
    Thoth Sphynx.webp
    208.1 KB · Views: 51
John Reed was his name....his story is in Glover's book.... Reed's only clue was "There was a Sphynx that overhangs and dominates the mine area"...my question is ....which Sphynx was he talking about.....The Lion or the Thoth?.....In the area I am looking at...there was a tall spire in a deep canyon that has since strangely been brought down....I will not go further into the matter except to say there was a Thoth Sphynx darkened outline at the very top...and very visible....in this now destroyed monument...that fit perfectly into Reed's clue...I saw it...before the tragedy of its fall...about 2 years later....from What or Whom...I do not know
All I can say about the sphinx I've posted is there are 4 mines in total all in a third of mile. 2 on the side of mntn, one on a ledge on athe mnt and another lower at the base of the sheer face of mnt. Only the 2 can be seen from each other, that's the ones on the face of mntn. The one on the ledge I've looked for multiple times and have not found but found the cave I've posted before and will post here again. It's the one behind the horses ear on the h/p map. The one at the base of mntn is the easiest and have not gone. But a very well known person that has died base camp was no more than a football field away from it. All are on the h/p map. Across from it is a military trail where in 1 map shows that a possible treasure as put.
 

Attachments

  • 7572.webp
    7572.webp
    225.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
A smart old-mine hunter always looks closely at desert lichen.

Especially if you find it on top, and then find it underneath on rocks that have been buried.

Those two things together, tell you someone was working there at least 100 years ago, and the site probably hasn't been disturbed since then.

People can do their best to hide workings, but they never really thought about what lichen would tell people who came later.
 
All I can say about the sphinx I've posted is there are 4 mines in total all in a third of mile. 2 on the side of mntn, one on a ledge on athe mnt and another lower at the base of the sheer face of mnt. Only the 2 can be seen from each other, that's the ones on the face of mntn. The one on the ledge I've looked for multiple times and have not found but found the cave I've posted before and will post here again. The one at the base of mntn is the easiest and have not gone. But a very well known person that has died base camp was no more than a football field away from it. Across from it is a military trail where in 1 map shows that a possible treasure as put.
To get to the one I've looked for and not found yet.. There is a very worn down trail. With carems as markers and very old pointer stones like this. Pointers were meant to be seen as it was end of the easy trail to follow tho I didn't even realize what I'd seen till I reviewed my videos later. So Potbelly, u are right they also used lichen to their advantage alos. This was my first scouting trip to see how hard it would be to get there for an extended stay. I had blindly stumbled upon the trail I'll show also. It is a 3 day trip to get there and will not go if it hasn't rained in the last 2 days as there is no water to get anywhere close on the mnt. Has been my hinderance. Left my empty water bottles in the cave for future to fill when that trip where the stars align to get there again before I get to old and decrepit for future trips. You can't physically bring enough water to stay there for more than a day and that is boogieing it off the mntn before your without. Last trip I took to said location I had heat exhaustion and if it wasn't for my friend pushing me we wouldn't of made it back. I couldn't keep water down, what I did take in u puked back up, and awnry as fuck. It's no joke, even in the winter and temp below 80 to not deal with snakes while moving along. If it was easy, it woulda already been found.. Till then I've concentrated on the only other place the LDM can be from my research anyways as it is easier. But that is another story altogether. Both have valid reasons it could be the LDM. I can not stress how important it is to make videos, as when u review them they can really help u to things u cant see in the moment.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260707-195556.webp
    Screenshot_20260707-195556.webp
    100.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20260707-195616.webp
    Screenshot_20260707-195616.webp
    114.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
John Reed was his name....his story is in Glover's book.... Reed's only clue was "There was a Sphynx that overhangs and dominates the mine area"...my question is ....which Sphynx was he talking about.....The Lion or the Thoth?.....In the area I am looking at...there was a tall spire in a deep canyon that has since strangely been brought down....I will not go further into the matter except to say there was a Thoth Sphynx darkened outline at the very top...and very visible....in this now destroyed monument...that fit perfectly into Reed's clue...I saw it...before the tragedy of its fall...about 2 years later....from What or Whom...I do not know
Yes, John Reed story.
The reason I posted about it on this thread, is because Reed said that they had run into Waltz in the supers, around the time that Waltz reported as being in there. During the his 2nd and final trip ….. winter of 1882/83.

Reed was unsure of the year, but it is possible that Reed was there when Waltz was.

The Waltz map does not reference any Sphinx that I can tell. However, if the Reed story is true, then there could be a sphinx overlooking the area.

It sounds like there might be several sphinx rock formations out and about. 🥴

So a sphinx by itself could mean something, or may not, to be the correct sphinx, it would need to be in the region of the Waltz Map… if the Reed story is true.

This thread is about the Waltz map. 🤷🏼‍♂️👍
I posted about a Sphinx that DOES overlook the region that looks like could be the region of the Waltz Map. I wasn’t intending to skew the thread. 🥴

Idahodutch
 
To get to the one I've looked for and not found yet.. There is a very worn down trail. With carems as markers and very old pointer stones like this. Pointers were meant to be seen as it was end of the easy trail to follow tho I didn't even realize what I'd seen till I reviewed my videos later. So Potbelly, u are right they also used lichen to their advantage alos. This was my first scouting trip to see how hard it would be to get there for an extended stay. I had blindly stumbled upon the trail I'll show also. It is a 3 day trip to get there and will not go if it hasn't rained in the last 2 days as there is no water to get anywhere close on the mnt. Has been my hinderance. Left my empty water bottles in the cave for future to fill when that trip where the stars align to get there again before I get to old and decrepit for future trips. You can't physically bring enough water to stay there for more than a day and that is boogieing it off the mntn before your without. Last trip I took to said location I had heat exhaustion and if it wasn't for my friend pushing me we wouldn't of made it back. I couldn't keep water down, what I did take in u puked back up, and awnry as fuck. It's no joke, even in the winter and temp below 80 to not deal with snakes while moving along. If it was easy, it woulda already been found.. Till then I've concentrated on the only other place the LDM can be from my research anyways as it is easier. But that is another story altogether. Both have valid reasons it could be the LDM. I can not stress how important it is to make videos, as when u review them they can really help u to things u cant see in the moment.
Doc4261

Keep in mind, that the area where Waltz worked in - wasn't that difficult to get to. So, if you've found an area that is extremely difficult to reach, it's probably NOT the correct location. Waltz was able to get in there and out of there pretty quickly AND was able to avoid others trying to follow him. The reason why the LDM has not been found, is due to the area not looking like it was worked. That is the "secret" to all of this. People have created an image in their heads - a preconceived notion if you will, that the Mine and his cache must be in an area so difficult to get to, that no one has made it in there. This is a stumbling block for many.
-SpartanOC
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom